1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2011 3500 Big Horn Crew Cab

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by captshawn, Dec 4, 2011.

1. captshawn

captshawn Senior Member

Well after just over 15 years since my last Dodge I'm back with a new 2011 3500 Crew Cab "it's not a dually model." Was looking at Fords and the Ram. Hope I didnt make a mistake. Sold a 2005 Extended Cab Duramax for this truck. It will be carrying a Boss 8.2 poly V-XT on the front.

2. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

beef up the front because they are still weak the I will never own another dodge. the 6.7 are gut lesson the top end pulling wise, and the milage sucks for a inline 6 the old 5.9 was far and away a better motor. they up the front in gvwr by 500lbs but with thought butting in after market parts you will be replacing tie rods upper lower ball joints. I have had a dodges for over 10 years now and the new 6.7 motor is great on low end power but sucks in milage and upper power band. WE ARE TALKING BONE STOCK!! and thats my two cents now comes the I have had no problems but I have re built by front end or I have but a delete kit an a chip in mine. Good luck with your new dodge I hope it lives up to what you are wanting .

3. captshawn

captshawn Senior Member

Thanks TPC...I still own a 97 3500 Dodge dually and have had my fair share of issues in the past. I don't think there is a truck made that don't have a weak link some place in the suspension, frame or driveline when you use them the way most of us do in the snow plow industry. If it has a weak link we will find it.:nod: And with all the emission crap they put on all the newer diesel motors they all have "breathing" issues. As a good friend of mine once said "the only thing diesel on a diesel truck is the block everything else around it will fall apart."

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

TPC is right for the most part, but like you said, if you hang a 1,000 pounds of steal off the front of any truck you'll find some weak points in the front end-especially on a diesel truck.

Is yours an HO or the pre-HO?

5. captshawn

captshawn Senior Member

I assume pre HO since it don't have the newer badge on the tail gate like I have read about, but not sure. I learned about that after it was to late oh well the price was so good on the truck. You can't expect any truck to not need money thrown at it when your using it to make money like we are.

6. plowguy43

Very true. Regardless of the HO/Non HO the 6.7 is a nice motor and the 68RFE has proven to be very reliable.

Depending upon your situation, a few light mods do help in a big way in regards to mileage and driveability.

7. supercuts

supercuts Senior Member

i just got a 2012 ram 3500crew cab srw cummins, dumped my 08 6.4 powerjoke. the 6.7 is a bit gutless on high end, but its an inline six. the powerstroke did rev and make alot of power up top but it drank considerable more fuel. im already in love with the low end grunt this dodge has. most of my driving is low rpm. the ford did not make power until the top end and by that time the turbo boost was sitting at 35psi and she drank fuel. what do we really need that much power for anyway.

on a postive note, if you do want more power the cummins will reliably make more modified as opposed to the ford.

love my new truck, she has about 200 miles, the boss 8'2" vxt went on friday

8. plowguy43

True again, the stock block will handle near 1000HP

9. 87chevy

87chevy Senior Member

DPF and urea delete would help with the breathing ;D

10. captshawn

captshawn Senior Member

The new Cummis does not use urea. Hey PlowGuy got any suggestions on "light" mods that wont kill my warranty?

11. plowguy43

For years of reading go to CompetitionDiesel . com These guys know there stuff more than any other forum out there.

On today's truck's there really is no mod you can do that won't void warranty's. Although a truck with a tuner could go undetected unless the tech knew what to look for. The manufacturer's are making it harder and harder nowadays from guys who would chip out their trucks adding 100+HP, blow the tranny, remove everything and bring it in for warranty work. A few bad apple's spoiled the bunch.

Personally, I'd add a smarty jr, remove the DPF, unplug the EGR (or delete it), and add an exhaust. This would make the 6.7 much more healthy and basically remove the problem area's of the new motor. You'd gain some nice power and get you back in the low 20 mpg's again. If you needed to get warranty work, toss the DPF back on, plug in the EGR and remove the tuner.

But don't expect large warranty repairs if you crank up the HP and blow the tranny or something. I mean remove that stuff if you have minor issues not related to the modifications you did.

12. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

there goes your warrenty. and I pay extra for the 100K factory warrenty due to the abuse I put my trucks threw so putting a delete kit on is out of the question.

13. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I seen a truck like that carrying a 9.2 with wings

14. captshawn

captshawn Senior Member

Here it is ready to go!

15. captshawn

captshawn Senior Member

Sorry pic not posting....

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011