1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2011 2500HD without plow prep package??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by KingDuramax, Jul 17, 2011.

1. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

I am looking at a used 2011 2500HD that isn't equipped with the snowplow prep package. When I go to either Fisher or Westerns site it says in the notes that snow plow prep is required to mount the plow? My question is will I be able to install a V plow on the truck or not? If so what will need to be done to make it work? Hate to buy it and be screwed since my sole purpose of the truck is to plow.

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Warranty is all you should be concerned about . IMO that truck would laugh at the fact of having a V plow hanging on it.

3. trevier

trevier Senior Member

I plow with a chevy 1/2 ton that doesn't have a plow package, I run a boss 7.5 super trip edge, never had a problem, I think the 3/4 ton would handle a plow with no problem, as long as you have the super engine cooling package,

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Then buy a truck that is intended to push a plow.

5. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

According to Chevy's website, the plow prep package gets you an increased FAWR, a 160A alternator, roof and backup aux light wiring and electrical hookups to make adding a plow to your truck easier...also a defferent front bumper to allow increased airflow.

Odds are alot of this is tuff you'd probably want, but can live without. If it were my money, unless the truck was a real killer deal I'd pass and find one with the plow prep.

6. KingDuramax

I looked into it further. The reason it says that its required is because without the plow prep it has the lighter front axle. There for they wont put the 8 and a half V on it. They will sell me the plow and I can install it myself. And yes the truck is a very good buy. Thanks for the words of wisdom all.

7. KingDuramax

Took your advice, passed on this one and getting one with plow prep.

8. Raconteur

Raconteur Senior Member
    from MA

Good decision ! Find the proper truck and you will love it !