1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2011 2500hd torsion bars

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ajracing81, Sep 27, 2014.

1. ajracing81

ajracing81 Member

So I just bought a 2011 2500hd silverado and putting my western plow on it that I had on my 05 2500hd. When I had the dealer install it on my 05 he turned the bars up to level it and for the plow. I'm installing it my self this time and want to level the truck and was just wondering how many turns I should do with out getting an alignment done to it. I Never had it done on my 05 and tires wore even.

2. JAJA

JAJA Member

You should have an alignment done no matter how many turns you go changing the height at all can and probably will change your alignment angles and if not adjusted will wear your tires...of course hanging a heavy plow changes those angles every time you drive down the road so there probably isn't a right answer

3. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

My 11 runs a 9.6mvp with wings and drops about 1-1.5inch... dont even touch it. 11 and up GMs carry the weight better then previous years

4. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You got lucky on the 05. You need an alignment. Cheap insurance

5. ajracing81

ajracing81 Member

Ok thanks, I still want to level the truck so the front isn't lower then the back.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

So try a few turns, then Ck. A few more then Ck. There's no real "math" to it, just guessing.

7. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

If you're gonna turn it up, do it right with a Z height check and alignment. Only way to go.

8. bolake

bolake Senior Member

Dealer that installed my Boss VXT 8'2" on my 2015 GMC Serria 2500HD said he turn torsion bars up 4 turns, said thats the max without causing an problems. I had check before with another dealer and was told the same.

9. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

The older ones were turned up random turns to lift more for plow wieght . The new frames since 2011 have diffrent settings not just random cranks of the t-bar bolts. They are meant to be adjusted up in the fall when plow season starts and put back in spring (if you want to level hieght just leave).There is no need to have the front end done anymore.

10. bolake

bolake Senior Member

My truck is a 2015 GMC 2500HD. The plow dealer that installed my plow said he turned the torsion bar up, if I am reading you right he wouldn't of had to do this??

11. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Yes you would I meant you dont need to have the front end alined every time you change the the T bars there meant to .

12. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

No torsion bar vehicle is "meant" to have the torsion bars constantly adjusted. If you change the ride height, the alignment WILL change... Period. The physics of the suspension on the pre-2011 chassis is no different from the post-2011 trucks. The later chassis has heavier torsion bars, which results in less necessary pre-loading of the bars to eliminate the sag from the weight of a snowplow (ie: less necessary change in ride height), thus resulting in less disruption of the factory alignment specs. The more you change the ride height, the more you disturb the alignment.

13. JAJA

JAJA Member

What cubicinches said any change in height will affect the alignment...

14. BIG NICKY

BIG NICKY Member

why dont you just get some timbrens they will help with the drop and save your front suspension from taking the beating from the plow hanging off the front of your truck. just a suggestion.

15. bolake

bolake Senior Member

If you turn the bars up and have it aligned then when you hang a plow on it the alignment will change again.

16. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Yeah but for the few miles you have your plow on its not going to matter.

Another reason for solid axles lol

17. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

What ******* told you this?

18. bolake

bolake Senior Member

Contacted my Gm service department where I bought truck. Explained the torsion bar adjustment because of plow. He said that it didn't need realignment.

19. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

You're gm department is an idiot

20. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

What ^ he said.