1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2011 2500 or 3500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by canadiantowman, Dec 26, 2010.

1. canadiantowman

canadiantowman Member

Looking at a GM 3500 crewcab shortbox to put a 8 and half ft arctic poly. I will also be pulling a trailer around sometimes during the summer.

the 2500 is only 2000 cheaper, would it be just as good or should I stick with the 3500.
  2. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

You forgot the F and have an extra 0!!!!

Talk to your insurance agent and see if that makes a difference. As well, I remember hearing something about yellow stickers being different between the two. I don't know if that makes a different if it is commercial or not, but something as well to look into with MTO.
  3. canadiantowman

canadiantowman Member

no difference in insurance,I have a fleet policy already.

I would have like to buy a ford but I don't trust the diesels and have heard alot of bad things about the new 6.2 gas motor.

plus right off the bat with my fleet prices I get $10,500 off the price.I don't get that much with ford.( I do work with CAA, that's why I get so much off )

This truck will be for my 2 yards only, nothing else
  4. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

The 3500 can pull more. Would it be single axle or duel? I am also looking at purchasing a new truck I checked out the Fords they are nice, but do not have the same towing capacity's as the Chevy/GMC. I need a crew cab, 4x4, with long bed.
  5. canadiantowman

canadiantowman Member

the trailer I will be towing is only about 5000 lbs, no it will be a single wheel. all of the crew cab duels up here are going for in the $70,000 price range.I just took delivery of 2 2011 3500 crew cabs 2 wheel drive gm cab and chassis and like them very much.This truck is going to be my personal truck to plow my yards and do some odd jobs. we use to have only fords but gm's where cheaper in the long run and next month we will be down to only 1 ford until it sells
  6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

For what your planning on doing the 2500 will be lots of truck.
  7. marylandbigb

marylandbigb Member

go for the 3500 you might as well have the extra capacity if you need it i just purchased a 2011 3500hd 4by4 srw crewcab 8ft bed and i love it. runs circles around the fords and dodges and if u research it you will find it out tows them both two i have always owned gm trucks and the 2011 is definetly the best one yet the ride is like a cadillac even though its a 1 ton
  8. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Would this truck be gas or diesel?

If gas, the front axle is 5200lbs with plow prep for the 2500hd, and 5600lbs with plow prep for the 3500hd.
  9. canadiantowman

canadiantowman Member

It will be a gas truck with the short box and a slt.
    looks like I should have it in 10 to 12 weeks.