1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2011 2500 hd diesel gremlin

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by yearground, Dec 9, 2015.

1. yearground

yearground Member
    from muskoka

So my new (to me) truck sat a week and this morning the reverse lights were on. See it every morning in the dark so just happened. Got in and the check engine light was on....No keys in it. Turn key to on and all guages and lights work. Turn to start and it goes dark.
    Dealer says maybe bcm? I'm pretty pissed about this and wonder if I can clean some contacts and what-not. Any direction from you guys (and gals)????

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  2. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Im going to throw it out there anyway... Electrical problems almost always take 5 hours to find and 5 minutes to fix.

Assuming it has a hitch and round 7 trailer connector, id at least look at the trailer plug. IF for some reason it got corroded and the 12v constant is back feeding through the reverse pin, who knows what kind of funny stuff it could do. Its a long shot, but that's the first place Id be looking.

Had a super duty once not go into lock up for no reason with the parking lights on, and when off, the dash lights would come on when I hit the brake. Turned out it was the socket that was corroded and backfeeding between the two and causing all those problems.

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Did you try jumping/charging it and it's dead?

4. yearground

yearground Member
    from muskoka

lotsa juice. tried boost...not even a click.
    will check trailer connector in the light.
    thanks for the ideas
    research says theirs over 20 computers on board...quite the opposite of my 92 dodge ctd !!! frightning

5. RonSpolv

RonSpolv Junior Member

The suggestion regarding the trailer connector is a good one, definitely check the harness/connector carefully. Although I'm a Toyota Technician, they use many Delphi control modules in their vehicles and I can tell you they are incredibly durable. I would say that 9 out of every 10 electrical problems like this that we diagnose end up being rodent chewed wiring. This seems more likely because you indicate that this happened after the truck sat for a week unused. Let us know what you find.

6. yearground

yearground Member
    from muskoka

1200lbs of salted sand in th box might have run straight to that connector with a few days rain. Here's hoping that's all it is. Will simply pulling the connector from the socket do the trick?
    Seems a lot of Canadian trucks are going stateside for big bucks.
    What's this 2011 duramax LT worth down there with 140000km? That blade was put on new in January.

IMG_20151208_101658.jpg

7. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I was assuming when you said it went dark, that the lights went out after it started. Are you saying you have jumped it and it doesn't start? It could still be back feeding and the computer thinks its in reverse, but you could also have a bad neutral safety switch. Have you tried starting it in gear with your foot on the brake? Try all gears including neutral...

8. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

It might if there is corrosion inside the 7 way connector itself. If the plug in at the back side of the connector is corroded, it may still act up. Look closely for any white powdery by the connections. It should be fairly noticeable. You definitely had the right conditions for something like that to happen...

9. BowTieDmax

BowTieDmax Senior Member

Fuse box under the hood. They are common to corrode and to crazy stuff like this.

10. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

My electrical gremlins originated from the air bag control mod under flooring under the driver seat. There was a recall to pull back the insulation so moisture would not sit against it.

11. BowTieDmax

BowTieDmax Senior Member

On your 2011? In 2010 -2011 they moved those under the console to eliminate that issue

12. Avalanche 2500

Avalanche 2500 Member

Nice, dogg good luck w/it, I have a new HD75 dogg but no snow here in
    MA. but it's coming??:drinkup:

13. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

Weren't you running a 1st Gen Cummins?