1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2011 1500 Ext Cab vs 2005 Colorado Crew

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Stik208, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Well,
    The Chevy dealer about 15 miles from me is selling 2011 Silverado Ext cabs for 8000 of sticker. The W/T model with the 4.8 is going for $23,389 which I think is a steal. Here in lies the question I have a 1 year old in a foreward facing car seat, I have room in the Colorado but its a bit tight with the diaper bag and groceries and what not. Would I have more room in the fulsize ext cab or in the Colorado. Also what would it run to swap the HT over?

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Don't do it. I considered the same truck when I had my dakota and can tell you its a PITA to get a kid in the backseat of a truck with "suicide" rear doors (typical extended cab trucks). This is especially true when at a store parking lot. On top of that the 4.8 is a dog and the WT's come with pretty much nothing. Look for a crew cab or just keep your truck. Thats just my opinion as I was pretty much in the same boat as you.

3. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Look for a crew cab. I would never have anything else after owning one. Especially with kids.

4. Zigracer

Zigracer Member

The extended cab doors on the 1500 open all the way until the're straight back. - awesome feature. Go check one out.

5. plowguy43

Right, but you still have to open the front doors and avoid the rear door as you extend it all the way back- its very difficult to do with your hands full (kid/diaper bag/groceries/keys).

6. Stik208

I'm going to take look at it tommorrow, I'll grab the Britax out of the old ladies Saturn and see how it fits. The other side of this is to get a 1/2 tonneau cover from the toolbox back for groceries and shizz. I called Arrowhead they told me $1500 for the swap, new plates and wiring. :eek: :help: :laughing:
    Just the price of everything is so ridiculous 07 1500s with 78k are going for 26,000 still its a joke.

7. plowguy43

If you don't already have one you should get a tonneau for your colorado. That was my first purchase when I found out we were having our first son. It was great in my quad cab dakota, everyone fit well in the truck and we could load up the bed with bags that would stay dry. When you look at it, make sure you try to open the rear doors while its parked next to another truck.

The used trucks you are looking at probably have plenty more options than a WT truck, but I do agree prices are through the roof right now.

8. Stik208

I had an ebay cover on it. The some of the buttons ripped off the bars fell off, it was trash. I'll let you know what I think tommorrow. I honestly dont really care too much about a stripped down truck, I am more into the 0 miles and 100k warranty. The older ones I have been looking at have more options but are far pricer than what I am looking for. I was looking at an 05 2500hd crew for 20k with 64 on the clock but I dont know whats going to happen prolly just keep what I have.

9. Stik208

I don't believe I am going to do it, $100 more a month it drove like a dream 3 miles on it lol. The doors swing all the way out but it would be kind of a hassle.

10. plowguy43

It sucks to walk away from a nice new truck (or car) but those doors really suck with a kid. I sold my 01 Ram 1500 that I LOVED to buy my Dakota Quad Cab (4 full doors like your Colorado) just for the ease of getting the kid in the back. After the Dakota I'll never buy a extended cab truck again, only Crew or Forward hinged doors going forward (Ram Quad Cab/Tundra Double Cab, etc).

11. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

I have ext 2500 and had ext1500 works well with car seat. If it wasn't my main plow truck I would buy crew cab 2500 though.