1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2010 X-treme V wings creeping, not styaing straight

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by MatthewG, Jan 21, 2012.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

My Xtreme V wings or possibly just wing is creeping into the V position. If I have it completely straight, after 5 minutes its already going into a very slight V. I have to hit the wing button to straighten it out.

Any ideas?

I also notice the one wing is faster than the other when going into scoop or retract

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

All typical symptoms of the XV

3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

5 minutes is good. Mine drifts in like a full minute

4. MatthewG

Oh crap, oh well I guess

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Mine does not drift. Had one come into the shop last year that did this, check valves were shot. Replaced them and no more drift.

6. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

Mine is new this year;I thought it was me catching the wrong button now and again with my fat ass fingers.

7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Ours don't creep back at all. Out of the things you mentioned is one side is a bit faster than the other when using scoop/retract and our new one does that worse than the 06 does. I've also noticed our new one is a bit slower than the old one.

8. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Mine does not drift anymore after going in for service. It should not drift. But apparently is something that happens often.

9. doyles

doyles Member

so if you buy a new extreme v the wings should stay locked in the position that you set them at and if they are creeping then you should just have to take it in for service right?
    i would like to know before i spent 8 grand on a new plow
    thanks

10. kimber750

Mine will stay in scoop all day long. So yes if it drifts I would take it back for service. By the way 8 grand is a bit on the high side for an XV. Some one is charging msrp there.

11. MatthewG

When im in Full scoop, they are not creeping out of scoop, its the opposite, if Im in straight mode, they are creeping into scoop.

12. kimber750

Mine don't move until I hit a button. I would really have the dealer look at it if it is under warranty. The one that came into the shop last year was really bad. You could watch the blades drift back to V from scoop in less than a minute. Guy said if he tried to back drag the wings would just fold forward. After the check valves were replaced, no more movement. With a new plow the check valves may just need to be adjusted. If I remember correct you have to turn them all the way in then back out like 1 1/2 turns. But without looking at the manual I am not 100% on that.

13. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Mine had a bad wind piston and had to be replaced. Now it only moves when I hit something the doesn't want to move.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Are you backdragging?

15. MatthewG

No not really back dragging, lots of acres to go forward.

So I went out to the garage tonight to do my usual waxing and maintenance after I use it and I removed the oil filler cap and it was pressurized, not sure if it supposed to be or not.

I took the cover off to look at the valves and such, but that is way to advanced for me to troubleshoot and I don't have a manual.

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Just backing out of the pile will cause the wings to creep forward a bit. The reservoir is supposed to be pressurized, that's a good thing.

I wouldn't worry about it, just hit the Vee button once in a while.

17. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

8 Grand????...Yikes...What Type of plow are you Buying....Is it made of Gold...:eek:

Sorry to hear this......Why don't you stop by your dealer and see what he has to say...:salute:

18. doyles

doyles Member

i'am sorry i was wrong on the price i figured if i buy the plow and some spare parts and mabey a set of wings for it then it whould be around that price
    what do you guys think about putting wings on a v plow is it just a waste of time

19. MatthewG

Stopped by the dealer, Im the first guy to have this problem, they told me to bring it in for a checkup.

They do have a few issues with XLS wings not retracting

20. MatthewG

Took it in for service and all they did was adjust the relief pressure to the angle cylinders, they said they found nothing else wrong with it.