1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2010 Winter Olympics

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mick, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

It was just announced that the 2010 Winter Olympics will be held in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

John Allin, are you planning a bid?

Anyone else on PlowSite that could take on something of that magnitude?
  2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Hell yeah!I could probably come up and keep one lane open...for a while....i think:confused: :D
  3. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I doubt many of us could or would even want to manage something that scale... One little glitch & you just gave yourself a bad rep to only a few billion people in a couple hundred countries. I seriously doubt most people would be able to obtain the proper insurance/bond. Or even have or could obtain the cash flow needed to make it happen.

Al-tho I wouldn't mind being shipped up there & taking on a lot or two...;)
  4. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Id love to work on the plowing crew. An event like that could prove to some people how difficult and stressful being a snow plower really is.

5. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Hey, we have seven years yet to get ready. We could put together a joint venture kinda deal and lowball SMG. All we need is somebody to coordinate everything. Jay, you should be about ready for the big time by then. What were you planning on bidding anyway, John? :) :) :)

In a more serious vein, I'd imagine it'd be 5 1/2 or 6 years before a contract would be awarded. JAA's done the Olympics before. No doubt, he could do it again. I don't know how many competitors SMG had for the last one, but if there are others out there with the talent and ambition to be credible competitors in 2010 I wouldn't be surprised if they're members, or at least a lurkers, of PlowSite right now.
  6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

If I remember correctly from talking to John, SMG was one of the few companies to bid the whole Olympics. Most were just bidding venues. Maybe he will chime in on the accuracy of this. I will agree that it will be awhile before it is awarded.

I was a little surprised. I guess most of the events will be up in the mountains. I have relatives that lived in that area for a while and they said around the city does not see much snow.
  7. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

CT18Fireman is correct. We were the only company that wanted the whole gig. And it was one of the reasons we got it, although there were alot of things that went into the evaluation and awarding process...... it's not like they just picked our name out of the hat and we won.

I'm sure there are others who will be ready by then, to make a run for it. We are talking with the powers-that-be in Turin, and I'm sure we'll take a looksee at Vancover.

But.... think about it....

What are the upsides for us, as compared to the possible downsides ?? If we do it, and do it right - people will say "yeah, so what". If we screw it up, people will say "see? It WAS a fluke in Salt Lake City".....

Sooooo.... we'd have to think about it abit first.

At least for a minute,

or two.

8. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

CT18 Fireman is right, Vancouver itself rarely sees snow. (I should know, I grew up there). Drive 15 minutes to one of the local ski hills, and then your talking a different story. Whistler as well gets a huge amount of snow.payup Hey John if you do get the contract give me a call and I could sub out for you. :cool:
  9. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Quoting myself:

Now that I think of it, what's to say the "powers-that-be" aren't lurking here on PlowSite right now? They're probably sizing us all up, taking notes on who overbills for salt, and whose spelling and grammar are substandard--crossing names off the list before we even know we're being watched.... :eek:

If it's true that the city sees very little snow and the surrounding countryside sees a lot then I imagine there would be a relative shortage of "local resources" available to handle the work. That would make the job that much more of a challenge.
  10. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

Also count me in, only about 6-7 Hours away, And for info

Whistler gets a LOT of snow.
  11. gardenpro

gardenpro Junior Member
    from WA

Sorry guys. I'll be taking care of it. Actually there is a highway maint company who takes care of the roads and many of the driveways, especially commercial properties. There are also a number of smaller businesses, including myself who take care of commercials and resi jobs.
    It snowed a few inches last Thursday in Whistler village, which is early. It melted. I couldn't cut grass or rake leaves that day.
  12. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Do you seriously believe that a highway maintenance department could take care of something of this magnitude? I haven't seen a highway dept that could keep a five mile stretch of pavement clean. As far as small plowing companies, without a track record of comparable operations - the Olympic Committee wouldn't even accept the bid.
  13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I could be mistaken on this Mick, but I am quite sure that Canada uses quite a few private contractors to plow their highways. Not like in the east where they hire trucks to help out, but contractors to do the whole thing--plow, salt, etc.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this one.
  14. gardenpro

gardenpro Junior Member
    from WA

They aren't run by the government, they are private. Having driven the Sea to Sky possibly over a thousand times, I would have to say they do a very good job.
  15. wyldman

wyldman Member

Around here the works departments have some equipment,and hire subs for additional plowing and salting.It is still all run and controlled by the local municipalities.