1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2010 Western Pro Plus technical Questions

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 2011F250Lariat, Mar 8, 2014.

1. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Sponsor

I have two questions, this year on my 2010 9 foot pro plus i broke the packing nut (cylinder seal, gland nut) on an angle cylinder, now i see that its cracked again, and that the plow bracket completely makes contact with the nut every time i angle the plow one way or the other, both sides touch, and even make a clank noise as it hits it, i can't remember if this is normal, now i'm paranoid about breaking these all the time, as i tend to plow in the completely angled positions quite often, is it normal for these to touch? maybe its just the amount of use i had on it this year as compared to the last three, but this worries me that ill break these again and again.

Second question, in 4 years i have never adjusted the chains, I don't even know if you are supposed to, but my plow seems to be lower now then before, in the fully up position, the chains fell off, one at a time on two separate occasions this year.

Any help, input is appreciated.

2. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Sponsor

Here is a pic of what i am talking about.

IMG_3321.jpg

IMG_3320.jpg

3. svc turf

svc turf Member

Are you low in hydro fluid? Or your pins could be worn; including the center bolt

4. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Sponsor

not low on fluid, and the pins seem fine as well, no play. the question is do these touch normally or not? if not that would mean something is wrong/worn.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  5. svc turf

svc turf Member

I see the problem....that packing nut isn't screwed in all the way. I have the same plow and just looked at mine

6. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Sponsor

i thought so too at first, aftermarket cylinder on that side, that's as far as it goes, in any case i have the same problem on the other side with a oem western one that is screwed in all the way, so that's not it. but good eye!

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

They shouldn't touch at all. Any pics of them touching the d-frame

8. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

It could be it.

You may have damaged something in that cylinder that is preventing you from screwing it in all the way now. Are you 100% sure that was the right siZe cyl in first place?

If that cylinder is going to far out when angling it could make the other side hit by pushing the plow farther

9. svc turf

svc turf Member

I think the problem is that cylinder for sure. It's the only thing it would be. Replace it with a stock Western clylinder

10. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Sponsor

Thanks for the help, i figured it out with your direction, it is in fact the aftermarket cylinder, the other side with the western oem one does NOT touch the bracket, so the aftermarket cylinder is the culprit, it must be a bit longer (about an inch). I already have another oem western one to replace it with so no big deal for next years season! the only reason i got that aftermarket one was that i needed one immidietely during a emergency on the first day of the year (new years day) which had all places closed my me except one that carried this aftermarket one. This whole experience has taught me to use only oem western parts as well as to have all these parts on hand as a backup!!!