1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2010 v-10

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by CityGuy, Jan 6, 2011.

1. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I am just looking for some info regarding this vehicle. We have a 2010 Ford 4 door v-10 fire truck and are trying to understand how the truck's oil system judges when it is time for an oil change? We do not put aloft of miles on the truck and usually 2 times a year it says it is time for an oil change. I know in the newer chevys it has a display showing how much oil life is remaining but the ford does not. Is it based on driving miles? Is it based on a computer "testing" oil consistency?
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Based on hours, i am guessing the trucks sits and idles a lot.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Is this a brush truck or a utility/transport truck? I would think the computer goes on time or miles what ever comes first.At the Ambulance company we go by miles on service intervals. We put many miles a day on them.Half the day is spent at idle. They may get an oil change every 5 weeks.
  4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

It is a brush/first medical responce truck. It does do some ideling but most of the time it sits in the station. Most of time it gets started and run is for monthly maintenance checks.

This is why we are trying to understand if the oil change light comes on based on miles(1200 for the year), Or if it is based on hours run. I do believe it has an hour meter in the computer. Not 100% sure.
  5. collins590

collins590 Junior Member

I'm not sure on the new fords because I'm reaching 12,000 kms way before 6 months, but on my lancer(car) there is a countdown for kilometers and months, and is either 6000 kms or 3 months, what ever comes first. So based on this I'm going to say the service light comes on every 12000 kms or 6 months.

Yes I know you use miles and not kilometers but you get the point.