1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2010 Silverado 6.0

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by horizon jay, Jan 25, 2016.

1. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

Hey guys :waving:I had something interesting happen today. Was backing out of my driveway and my brakes didnt work! Very tight pedal. Jammed it down and slowly stopped (ended up in the street). Thats when I noticed no power steering either. I pulled back in drive and almost hit my plow...
    Looked under hood, fluids good no leaks on concrete. Opened fuse box, pushed down on ABS J fuses. They all seemed fine. Then got back in and restarted it, whined a little bit then stopped and the truck magically fixed itself.

Since I dont believe its actually fixed... Any ideas? Power steering pump goin out? Are the power steering pump and brakes connected? Its sat for a few days but last time out I had no issues while salting. Thought maybe its something obvious to someone with experience.
    Any feedback is appreciated.
    Thanks guys!:mechanic:
    2010 Silverado 6.0L
  2. lfaulstick

lfaulstick Member
    from PA

Happend to my 2013 like four or five times since new...then this summer by power steering pump wen with 33,000 miles on it...and so far hasn't happened since.

The dealer checked my truck each time couldn't find anything wrong..I know its not helping not knowing issue but didn't want you to think you were alone
  3. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

Thank you! It hasnt happened again but seriously freaked me out when I couldnt stop. Also shows no codes.
  4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

5. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

6. searay220

searay220 Member

I agree it sounds like "Hydroboost" is not working. Check power steering fluid level first.
  7. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

Power steering and brake fluid are both good. I will check into hydroboost. Thanks guys!
  8. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Back in my dealership days, the pumps on those would break the shaft in side the pump. I never had one come in that the belt fell off. I cant imagine that you have a broken shaft, but I suppose if it did happen, and the shaft wasn't a clean break, the pump may still work? More likely is it got wet and the belt was slipping. I am interested to hear the results...