1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2010 paint issue, rail dust

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dave_dj1, Feb 8, 2012.

1. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

Just want to make you all aware of the potential for rail dust in the paint. I have a 2010 white reg cab 2500HD . I just got the truck back today for the second time of it having to be wet sanded and buffed. The first time, last year it wasn't real bad but when I washed it last thursday it was terrible! My dealership has been excellent in trying to fix and they even say they will re-paint if necessary.
    Look your truck over when it's clean. Apparently it depends on where the truck is shipped from, by rail or by truck. :mechanic:
  2. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Oh...is this that issues where sparks or hot metal flys up from the railroad and burns the paint on the truck...or something? someone i know that had a white f 150 had the same problem, the paint peeled on the top of the truck and the hood.
  3. Ram 08

Ram 08 Member

Father in law had a 95 white 2500 that had the rail dust also. They were able to fix his with one wet sand and buff. They said it depends on how fresh the paint is when it goes on the train. If your truck is the last one built before the train leaves you will be more likely to have rail dust issues. (that was the dealers explanation anyway)
  4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

It happens more often then you think. I'd clay bar your truck as well, it will lift the dust out of the paint rather than wetsanding (which is removing layers of clear coat).

Make sure you do your chrome bumpers as well, they will rust bad - thankfully it can be covered under warranty most times.
  5. grosser397

grosser397 Senior Member

my 04 white chev had the same problem, clay bared for days