1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2010 Laramie bumper mods ??

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Bagger, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Bagger

Bagger Member
    from CT

I'm just a home owner ... with a 1/4 mile long paved driveway and rather large parking areas at the top near the house.

I've been plowing my place for nearly 30 years with a variety of trucks and plows.

Currently I have a F150 super crew with a Western 7' Uni Mount rig. I just ordered a 2010 Dodge 1500 Laramie and want to swap the plow over to the new truck using a different plow frame.

My plow guy is concerned with how much he'll have to cut the front bumper to get the rig hooked up. Me, too.

Anyone know how much is needed to be trimmed off to mount this Uni Mount rig?

Thanx for your help.
  2. Jenkins12

Jenkins12 Junior Member

Might have to go to a ultra mount since western doesnt make unimounts anymore. With the previous gen ram you can remove the entire plastic air dam piece, might be the same with yours.
  3. Bagger

Bagger Member
    from CT

Sorry .... I just checked. I do have the ULTRA Mount rig. I had a Uni before on different truck. I'm easily confused.

Removing the entire air dam will leave the truck looking pretty ugly when the plow is not mounted. Not sure a $40K truck would look good that way. :)

I'm sure it will have to be trimmed, but wondered if anyone else had mounted such a rig on a '09 Dodge?
  4. nexcorp

nexcorp Junior Member
    from midwest

Well, not sure this will help. I just installed an 09 Ultra on an 06 3500 Laramie, (with the chrome/split bottom) and when I went to cut the air dam I had to cut all the way to the chrome, and it still wasnt adequate clearence as the mount is pinching the bottom of the center chrome section. I got it on, Hood closes properly, was a MFr to get on. Everything functions but you cant get a piece of paper between the top of mount channels and the bottom of the chrome where I cut the air dam grooves. The bumper is actually being pushed up a little, maybe 1/8 inch. Now your bumper might be different than mine as I noticed most rams with westerns dont have the same bumper. The ultra definitely pushes the limit on my 06 Laramie front bumper. Now I am trying to figure out where the hell to put the plugs since the grill goes up with the hood. Always something.
  5. Bagger

Bagger Member
    from CT

Thanx. Yes, there is always 'something'.

I was at the plow shop today talking about it. Also, went to the dealer's to measure from the floor to the bottom of the chrome bumper section on a 2010. Looks like about 14" I haven't measured my Ford yet, as I have the plow on it.

The bottom of the '09-'10 Dodge air dam is not just a piece of plastic ... it is a larger piece that is molded quite a ways back on the truck. I'm sure this installation will be ... as you said ... a MFr.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Find an after market black front facia and cut it up to incorperate the plow. When the season is over put the factory one back on. Best of both worlds, plus in the summer the plow subframe is hidden.
  7. Bagger

Bagger Member
    from CT

That's a good idea. I'll prolly have to wait until I start having the plow rig mounted to see how much cutting is involved ... and then decide how to deal with hiding the subframe.

Thanx for the help. There may be someone out there with a 1500 Laramie with a Western UltraMount that will eventually find this thread.
  8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I just put a Western onto a 2009 Dodge and I had to cut two sections out of my air dam that are about 4"x4". I don't think it looks too bad but I knew going into it that I'd have to do some cutting so I was prepared for it.
  9. Bagger

Bagger Member
    from CT

You prolly have a 2500 ?? truck ... I'm not sure, but the Laramie may have a different design air dam. But, if they are the same, cutting 4" off is not a bad deal. I had to do that with my F150. Looked OK.
  10. jregal

jregal Junior Member
    from nepa

I have 09' SLT with the Sport Package. It has the plastic painted bumpers. I just had a Fisher HT plow put on and was worried about the same issue. They ended up only having to notch the air dam, the bottom black plastic piece that is on the bottom bumper. No cuts to the actual bumper. I have attached a link to the install instructions so that you can get a better idea of what was done. I believe western and fisher have the same mount systems?

Good Luck
  11. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

Ahh, cmon! If you can afford a 40k truck, you can afford a SWEET new fisher!:nod:
  12. Bagger

Bagger Member
    from CT

Thanx, John ...

Unfortunately, the 2 plow frames and rigs are not the same/same. But, I can see the size and shape of the air dam. This may be helpful from a standpoint that there may mounting instructions for my truck and my plow.

Thanx again!