1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2010 Laramie 1500 with Western Plow ...

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Bagger, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Bagger

Bagger Member
    from CT

Well, it wasn't easy, but I finally got the Western UltraMount plow mounted on my new truck. I did have to add a 2" ReadyLift front leveling kit to keep the rig from bottoming out and allowing me to mount/dismount the rig without driving up on paving stones. Crikey !

The truck looks much better with the ReadyLift kit, rides like stock with no problems with the suspension .... just added 2" aluminum blocks above the strut mounts. Plow does not drag one bit.

BTW, I just plow my own property .... 1/4 mile driveway and some areas around the house and detached garage. Mostly down hill. I've plowed with mini-Toyotas in the past, as well as 1/2 ton Chevy's, Fords, Dakota. All work fine.

IMG_1184-1.JPG

2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth Member

Not a Dodge fan at all, but that truck looks really sharp!

As does the plow....you should pick up a few more long drives or small lots just for fun. I'd want to play with that plow a little!

3. Bagger

Bagger Member
    from CT

I'm a fan of what moves me at the time. Chevy, Ford, Toyota (huh?) where not in the running at the time of purchase.

Anyway, I don't need to plow for a living ... or to make some extra cash. I've had plows and trucks for 30 years or so. I'm not much into having 'fun' with plowing. I hate winter with a passion. Moving snow every couple three days by hand, blower and plow in very low temperatures is not fun for me, m'friend.

But, I have to agree with you. The Dodge Ram is a fine looking truck and I expect it to perform well with the plow. :)

4. zeek

zeek Member

I have plowed a season with mine and it was a tank. Even with the factory 20" wheels. I also added 2.5" to the front and 1.5" to the back this year.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Those new 1500's are the best riding truck on the market now and have arguably the nicest interiors as well. Nice ride.

6. Bagger

Bagger Member
    from CT

You are correct. Most new trucks ... from all makers .... are very nice. This Ram rides like a Buick (not my favorite ride, but you get the idea). Very comfy, very quiet, very planted ride. Interiors are quite nice, too. Much more so than the 1970 C10 I once had. And, a lot more expensive, too !

I'm not worried about plowing with the 1500 Ram ... I'm not commercial, just my own hacienda and such. Plus, I plow down hill mostly.

My Dodge Dakota (previous generation), '07 F-150 Ford, couple Chevy 1500s did the same/same job without a problem. I don't expect any from the the Ram either. Plus, it has an auto start feature that I can do from like half a block away (tested from my office window), heated seats, heated steering wheel, too. Who'da tho't ?

I expect snow in the next couple weeks ... Global Warming must be delaying it, eh. Anyway, we'll see how the truck works in the snow. I'll give a report when I have the opportunity to use the rig.

7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah it'll do just fine. I plowed for 3 years commercially with a Regular Duty Fisher 7 1/2' plow on my 03 Dakota Quad Cab. Never had a problem.

8. Bagger

Bagger Member
    from CT

:salute:

Thanx. I liked the Dakota I had with the Western 7.5 foot, too. Never had a problem either. The RAM 1500 should do quite well, too.

9. markknapp61

markknapp61 Member

Thats a great truck.... :)

I have been using my 2002 / 1500 for 7 years now with a 7'6" western and no problems ... KNOCKS ON WOOD...lol
    [​IMG]

10. resq31

resq31 Junior Member

We just put a meyers drive pro on 2010 1500 dodge with 20" wheels, 2" front end lift kit, works great, looks good, and even with plow and hitch mount salt spreader, the ride is better then my 2003 avelanche I had. And of course I am partial, but by far the nicest interior of all trucks.

11. peregrine

peregrine Junior Member
    from ct

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I just put a blizzard 7600LT on the front of my 2010 Dodge Quad Cab Laramie and it hit the ground. I called SD truck springs and the Blizzard dealer and they told me to install the Timbren kit. Well that was done today and it still hits the ground. I guess from what Bagger is doing I should remove the Timbren and get the 2" lift kit? The plow weighs 475lbs. If anyone can tell me if that is all I have to do I would appreciate it. I am pretty frustrated at this point.

Thanks,
    Dave

12. Bagger

Bagger Member
    from CT

Dave .... Look at the photo of my 2010 Laramie with a full sized Western plow. It did not work without the ReadyLift 2" front lift kit. I had to drive up on a patio paver to get the plow off or on. Big PITA in my book !

Adding the ReadyLift kit, will allow you to get the plow off and on without a problem and keep the plow from bottoming out when you drop down to the road from the end of a driveway like mine.

Get the ReadyLift and you will be happy. I am.

Bagger in CT-Land

13. peregrine

peregrine Junior Member
    from ct

Thanks Bagger. I just wanted this to be my last modification to get this plow set up.

Dave from Old Saybrook

14. Bagger

Bagger Member
    from CT

Dave ... Here is the website that I got the leveling kit from. I believe the number is 66-1030, but I'd call them to make sure.

I had a local tire shop do the work since I don't have a mechanical clue. They had not done this before, but I went on to the Dodge site and found several folks that had done so. Directions were pretty straight forwad. Cost was $250 for the labor and took about 4 or so hours. Kit was like $225.

http://www.readylift.com/c-147-dodge-ram-1500-2006-2011-4wd-20.aspx

There have been some guys that have had some shuddering with the kit when in 4 high. I don't have anything like this. Truck rides like stock and no odd things found. I have the truck with the 4 BIG doors.

15. peregrine

peregrine Junior Member
    from ct

Bagger- when your plow is lifted how many inches is your plow frame off the ground?

With the Tinbren's in mine is about 3 inches, but that folding leg touches down on my Blizzard. Plus I can't get that leg to fold up when I attach the plow.

I am gonna call around and find someone to do the install now. I will check that website you posted. Who did your install? I also read that you need an alignment after as well.

16. Bagger

Bagger Member
    from CT

Dave .... I've only had the plow on to 'check it out' once since the kit was installed. The rig is off the truck now, so I can't give you a lot of exact information.

But, that said ... adding the 2" kit allows me to mount/dismount the plow using the feet on the plow. When the plow was on the truck, there was a great deal of room between the blade and the ground when the blade was 'up'. I could see the top of the blade and at the bottom of my driveway .... which is quite steep ... the blade does not scrape in the 'up' position as I transition onto the road. My Ford F150 (no lift kit) did scrape at the bottom of the driveway with the same plow.

I can tell you that the bottom of the chrome part of the bumper now is 15.5" from the ground and when I dismounted the plow, the bottom of the 2 runners that fit into the frame are ~8" from the ground.

Here's my guess .... the 2 inches that the kit gives you will drop back to near normal with the plow on the truck and raised up. Just guessing. I'll prolly have the plow on the truck this weekend if we get some snow here in CT.

Yes, the truck's front end will need to be aligned. This was included in the cost of $250, which I got from some other guys around the country that had the same/same kit installed.

17. peregrine

peregrine Junior Member
    from ct

Yeah I am talking about the height of the plow frame not the plow. This is my first plow. When I have the blade in raised position it is quite far off the ground, but the frame near the bumper is quite low. I hope I can get this done soon before we have any significant smow. I am on the coast so usually it is pretty mild. Last year I got 28 inches on 12/18. Sucked with my snow blower.

18. zeek

zeek Member

I had to take my 2" kit off the front of my truck..... it caused a "death whobble" in the front when in 4 wheel drive. Dealer said there was no cure...some 06-10 do it, some don't, sorry no refund though.

19. peregrine

peregrine Junior Member
    from ct

Well I ordered the 2" kit. I am sending the Timbren kit back. They did mention that death wobble to me. Said it occurs in 4 HI only. I guess I will have to wait to get it installed.

So I don't know of any good shops in the area and the dealers want anywhere from $390 to $450 for an install with alignment.

Anyone got any suggestions? I am NOT doing this one myself, no time for it now.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  20. Bagger

Bagger Member
    from CT

Dave .... I was thinking about your situration today as I drove around the state running errands.

First, the Blizzard plow & frame are quite a bit different than my Western Ultra Mount. I went on the Blizzard site to look at your plow. You can look at the Western site to see how they differ as well.

My Ultra Mount (mid sized 7.5' plow) with the new ReadyLift kit keeps the plow frame at about 8" from the pavement. I'm not sure we are comparing apples to apples, here, Dave.

Installation/alignment should be pretty straight forward. I chose a shop that did tires, shocks, struts, yada, yada. They have some sense of taking things off and putting them back together again. I wouldn't pay more than $250 for the wholeshebang ... including the alignment. I think you can download the installation instructions from the ReadyLift site ... take that to a couple shops and see what they say.

Another place to look at for installation is a 4x4 shop. I don't know if there are any in your area, but you can check around.

I figure you have about 2 weeks before you need the plow along the coast, Dave. I got my snow blower ready today ... got some fresh 89 octane gas (installed a petcock last year to shut off the fuel and let the carb run out of gas to save repairs ... works well), and moved the Byers salt sander to the front of the detached garage, too.

I hope this helps a bit.