1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2010 ford f250 3.31 gears?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Tbrothers, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

Is there a real big reason why you can't get the snow plow prep with the 3.31 rear end? I'm looking at selling my 08 F 250 V10 and going with a newer diesel. I found a 2010 with 34k miles asking price $34900 but it has 3.31 well it work for plowing snow? if not reasons why? thanks for the input.
  2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I want hear this in case I up grade trucks
    Right now I run 373 in all my trucks
  3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure why we run 3.55's on both of our 2011 Diesels and that was the lowest they said we could get with a plow package on them, no one at the dealer really had a good reason why that was
  4. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

I can't see issue but before i spend 35k would like to know the reason for it. My 08 F250 doesn't have the prep package but its got 4.10 gears.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  5. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Last time I checked, 3.31 gears were only good for something like the World Land Speed records at the Bonneville Salt Flats.Not much plowing going on out there.
  6. golfcar

golfcar Member

I don't know why you couldn't plow in 4L, if had trouble in 4H. Then switch back to 4H or 2 wheel drive for traveling between jobs.
  7. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

I don't think the truck would have trouble plowing just curious why Ford doesn't offer the plow package with this rear end. I also tow a 12k 5th wheel camper in the summer not sure how it would handle the camper. sounds like the onwer gets reasonable fuel mileage with it even being all stock.
  8. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

not enough at low end. I'm sure you could get by with it but would put more strain on the motor & trans
  9. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Just salting... :)
  10. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

combination of the diesel motor and transmission