1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2010 f150 md or hd plow

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by jbart06, Oct 22, 2013.

1. jbart06

jbart06 Member

looking at buying a 2010 f150 crew with the 6.5 foot bed and putting a snowdogg on it- was thinking to either do the md 75 or md 8 footer on the truck leaning toward the 8ft since the price difference is minimal. What I have heard is that the plows tend to trip very easily and lift up very easily when pushing snow. Is this true? I do driveways and some small lots. I have plowed with two other f150s one being a 99 f150 with an old western 7ft steel plow with only two springs which did great, and now i have an 05 f150 crew with a blizzard 760 lt which i LOVE. The blizzard plow never lifts, is heavy enough for any snow and i love having the tall (29") height and i realize that the snowdoggs are shorter at 24 inch im not sure how much i will notice this though. Should i consider the HD series? or are these stories I hear about the md series being very very light duty not true?
  2. 04ram1500

04ram1500 Member

I ran an md 7.5 on my ram 1500 for 3 years, I never had a problem with the plow raising up while pushing. But it did trip very easy, mostly on dirt / gravel...This was remedied by taking the spacers off of the trip springs and tightening them down all the way. I didn't have any issues after that.

As far as durability, I put a beating on it the whole time I had it and it still worked like new when I sold it. I plowed quite a few commercial lots and it performed fine.
  3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

May want to check what year Ford started using the electric steering on the F150. These trucks are not supposed to have a plow put on them. Can't remember when they started that.
  4. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

2011 and 2012 are the "no plow" years for Ford. Before that regular cab plow preps could usually handle the HD. You can run it through our plow selector at http://www.snowdoggplows.com/plowselector5/Default.aspx to confirm.

HD is 700+lbs - MD is 400+lbs - so they are totally different animals. That said, as 04ram1500 points out, the MD can take a beating. The design was changed a bit as well to eliminate the spring issue he noticed (just increased the spacing a bit). The MD with 2 springs will always trip easier than the HD with 4 - so if you can handle it, I would recommend the HD80.