1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2010 Dodge Ram - Keyed power for Boss Plow

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by ChickenKing, Oct 12, 2011.

1. ChickenKing

ChickenKing Member

Have a 2010 Dodge Ram 3500 that I just swapped my 8' Boss SuperDuty into. Everything is connected and plow is ready to go except for one wire under the dash. Boss calls for it to be connected to a switched circuit but when look under the dash all I find is a bunched wiring harness. Looks like the fuse box is under the hood and I have no clue how to tap into it. I tested the wires in the harness under the dash and found three of which are keyed but uncertain if I can just crimp tap into them with the plow wire or not. Searched and found a thread stating to hook into the cigarette lighter feed, not sure if this is the case. Anyone ever run into the same situation and if so....what did you do?

Thanks in advance.....Jeff

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. Joneso8

Joneso8 Member

I tapper into the cigarette lighter feed for my western wideout. Fused it where I tapped in. No problems so far. Was completely fine all of last season. I have a 2010 Ram 2500.

3. I ran into the same issue on my 2008. I did have it spliced into the cigarette lighter as well. A friend of mind brought up a valid concern. Depends on what other uses you have for that lighter. Cell phone charger? Overhead caution light? I decided to reroute my ignition hot wire back through to the fuse box and not have that concern.

4. ChickenKing

ChickenKing Member

It calls for a keyed circuit so I'll probably just tap into the lighter circuit that is keyed since there are two lighter outlets, one keys and one always hot. I assume they are on separate circuits. I'll just have to make sure I plug anything into the always hot circuit. Thanks guys. Pray for snow!!!!