1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2010 Chevy 2500 Running high amperage?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by horizon jay, Dec 12, 2013.

1. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

I have a 2010 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD WT. I just noticed today driving around with plow that the amps seem high while driving or sitting. I can wiggle plow back and forth and the amperage visibly drops but then slowly rises when not in use. I put a volt meter on battery and its running 15.20-15.28. Is that oK? I called dealer they said it seems high but he wasnt sure why. Typically alternator on its way out would be low volts, right? Just trying to figure this out before snow on Saturday. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Thats not too much higher than normal. I'd say once you get up to 16 its getting high.

3. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

Thanks! The only problem is its not digital so Im not sure how high its actually getting when I drive it. I know it stays under the 3/4 line (17.5). It actually peaks right in the middle of 1/2 way (14) and 3/4 (17.5)Someone said replace alternator. They also said if alternator was failing it would trip a code so idk lol. Just cant afford to fry anything. I should say it was "high" even without plow attached. Thanks again!

4. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

My 99 does the same thing, at idle the voltmeter rests well above 14 but as soon as I touch the plow control it dives to 11.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It's a volt meter on the dash, not an ammeter. Huge difference.

15-ish volts is about right with the truck running and no excessive loads turned on.

The factory gauge isn't particularly accurate but is adequate for a general reference. Watch the gauge, if you notice a significant change get the voltmeter back out and investigate.