1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2010 Alternator Question?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wkahler, Dec 7, 2010.

1. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Just wondering, seeing as this is the first time i have attached the plow and took it out. Whenever i take the plow up or put in the "V" position the lights dim a little and I can notice the battery gauge go down a little. I expected a little difference from my diesel truck since i haven't installed 2 batteries in it, nor did i want to have to. Its a Boss 8'2" V plow and just making sure its not a plow issue. Was going to think about installing a HD alternator?!?!? Let me know what you guys think. Its a 2010 Chevy 2500HD with 6.0 gas motor in it, no double battery installed and didn't come with the snow plow prep package.

2. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

It has to be expected with no plow prep and the larger 160 amp. alt. you don't have.
    I would just live with it while your still under the 3/36 warranty to avoid dealer/warranty
    issues.

Its possible to have your existing alt. "pumped up" to a higher output by a good alt. shop.
    A new or rebuilt higher amp. alt is a bit $pendy at $300 or so.
    Also depending on what model alt. you have like a CS-130 and switching to a 170 amp.
    CS-144 the alt. itself is BIGGER and requires new mounting brackets and wiring plugs.

Thats why I say live with it for now....................

See the difference in sizes:

S3011620.JPG

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  3. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

I got you there!! I totally understand what you are saying and will see what happens!!

4. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

For now it might help to put in the biggest amp battery you can stuff in it. The other thing is the alternator isn't doing much at engine idle when most of the plow movement is needed.

5. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Yea a bigger battery would work but again I read ( on GM truck sites) that the battery on a
    gmt-900 is a special size (smaller/lower???) and is either hard to get or quite $pendy !
    But yet again still the original issue that the alt. ain't big enough.

Not sure on that one tho.............Maybe somebody in the know will chime in.