1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2010 9' stainless fisher plow frame buckled!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by frazier-nh, Jan 17, 2012.

1. frazier-nh

frazier-nh Junior Member

The company bought a new 2010 ford dump truck last winter and had a local fisher supplier put a new 9' stainless straight blade on the truck. We used it for half the season and the plow frame with the headlights on it started to lean closer and closer to the truck but couldm't find out why. We had to use the plow for another storm before it could be looked at. During that storm I was making piles and the whole frame came right into the truck grill and shattered it. Didn't ram piles with the truck cuz it was too new. We got it back to the shop and the plow horns on the truck where buckled outwards! We had the supplier who installed it put new horns on the truck (supposedly) and heat/ bend the bent plow frame parts back to straight. The horns still are slightly bowed outward. the Supplier said the new plows have crumble points like a vehicle now so that way the truck frame doesn't get hurt. Accused us of using the plow as a battering ram. We all do it and know that you can hit snow banks pretty hard with the older plows. Shoulda went right to fisher when it happened!
    Anyone heard of this happening or any suggestions??

2. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

All welds or heats cause or relieve stresses, and often change the structural characteristics of the metal.
    I say toooo much heat in the wrong place .steel contracts on cooling as much as it expanded on being heated.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

pics? ............

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Yeah, that sounds a bit suspect. Pics!

5. frazier-nh

frazier-nh Junior Member

I'll work on gettin pics. Has anyone heard of this happening? I have used fisher's entire line of plows and never once had or heard of this happening. I would understand if i plowed into a snow bank at full speed but that wasn't the case.

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I had an 8' Xblade and hit some big snow banks with it when some as*hole decided to partially plow a vacant lot I am contracted to do and stack the snow right in the center. Anyways, It took numerous HARD hits and never gave me a problem.

I'm not sure if the new push plates are different but the Xblades are strong plows.

7. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Never ever heard of this before

8. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Broke the push plates on my 10' mc twice.I re-enforced and welded and has held up well
    But thats a 30k lb truck that only I drive. Never heard of anyone else having a problem.
    Maybe someone hit somethig and kept quiet. Stacking snow puts a lot of leverage on plow and frame when it travels up to the max height

9. frazier-nh

frazier-nh Junior Member

Leigh, how did u go about reinforcing ur plow when it broke..the push plate are my problem right now, bowed outward. I am the only driver of the truck and the plow was maybe 3months old. Plow works as it should but don't trust it for when we actually see some snow around here.

10. RepoMan1968

yep , too much heat in the wrong area

11. leigh

from CT

Mine cracked in several places. The angle iron piece that connects each side also broke.
    I had to put a bottle jack under frame and jack up into place , it was sagging.Welded it then added extra steel to weak/poorly designed areas.Mine is probalbly totally different, its a international.Might be able to take some pics, not sure with the bumper on and in the way though.

12. RepoMan1968

is it a FISHER too ?

13. leigh

from CT

Yes . Minute mount 2, 10' mc straight blade. Bought new in 2006

14. frazier-nh

frazier-nh Junior Member

May have used wrong description for "horns" in the beginning, its the pushplates that were supposedly replaced when we brought it in when it happened and are still bowed out. they heated the frame on the plow to straighten some parts out. the plow assembly appears to be fine. The push plates on the truck bow outward and the angle iron piece that connect the two pushplates is sagging on drivers side. When you look at the push plates on the truck the bolt holes on the side of them that go thru the truck frame are different on each plate. The passenger appears to be oval like its slotted and the driver is not, just a cirlce hole. Two different plates maybe. NO CLUE WHY. Think the truck frame could be tweeked?? Or maybe poor reinstall from supplier (Dont wanna stur up names, but was installed and fixed by a fisher supplier in plaistow area.)

Langs corner garage- the company has had previous work done by you and should of came to you for this plow in the beginning. Think this is something that you could look at or fix or something Fisher could take care of? I probably already know the answer! Other option is to to have local welding company straighten and reinforce the plates.

15. leigh

from CT

Definitely need some pics.Maybe the push plate bolts loosened and elongated the holes in the frame or the push plates.You know what they say a picture is worth.....

16. RepoMan207

from Maine

If your referring to my signature, I'm not associated with Lang's in an operational capacity. I'm sure they can fix it, but it would mean doing it the right way i.e. replacing the push plates, and possibly the A Frame. I can tell you for certainty that Paul will not allow Mickey Mouse repairs in his shop. It's either done right, or not at all. Hence why I like them so much, they have even higher standards then me.

The fact that the push plates are screwed up that bad, does bring frame damage into play. If it were me, I would pull the plates and have the frame measured at a body shop. 2-3 measurements (15 minutes) would tell if anything was displaced due to the abuse...or negligence. After that, install a new set of plates and see where your at. I would be interested to see the headgear and A Frame. If this was just a mount failure, chances are they're fine.

17. RepoMan207

from Maine

That could get messy.