1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2010 6.4 poor fuel mileage

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by beam, Feb 17, 2011.

1. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

Got a f350 quad cab dw truck that is getting 7-8.5 miles per gallon was thinking of getting a programmer and doing away with the diesel particulate filter any ideas will help

2. Evil PSD

Evil PSD Member

i got a 6.4 also but im gettin around 11mpg around town, but i heard getting rid of the dpf and a tune such as spartan or H&S will boost your mpg big time but careful with warrenty Thumbs Up

3. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

yep, the 6.4 kinda sucks major with the mileage.

4. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

SCT with custom tunes from Eric at Innovative diesel is the way to go. Stock my 09 crew cab would only get 14-14.5 on the highway. After tuning it and removing the dpf/doc I get 17-18 all the time and have got up to 20. Our plow truck went from using almost 4gph plowing down to less than 2ghp, I almost couldn't believe it.
    And the added power is GREAT.
    Robert

5. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

Holy crap, you guys get that much. My '08 F550 averages 6.5 mpg. Than again I am a little over 5 ton empty.

6. six4powerstroke

six4powerstroke Member
    from CHICAGO

im tuned with spartan and dpf deleted and highway i see 20+ mpg and city 15-17 mpg.