Snow Plowing Forum banner

2010 2500 Cummins ball joints

8K views 66 replies 10 participants last post by  mega10cab 
#1 ·
Well looks like 2 storms of plowing have destroyed my ball joints. This past storm there was tons of clunking from the front end over bumps etc. With the plow off today it's still doing it over bumps. Looks as if lower ball joints on dodges are common. I'll lift it off the ground and check for movement this weekend.

So what are you guys running for plowing? I always upgrade to better parts, and with plowing I definitely want something stout. And from what I've read the axles are sealed so I can pull axles shafts without oil coming out. But I'll need a press right? Thanks.

#52 ·
Just an update, jacked up the front end and the tires moves back and forth when pushing on too/bottom of it. Using a pry bar I can move the knuckle up/down a good bit. Definitely the ball joints. Calling for a potential major storm next week so I may try to knock this out Saturday. I'll keep everyone updated on how it goes. Thanks for the help thus far fellas.

#54 ·
I tried taking videos of what was moving etc. but hard to do myself. I'll try to upload. I put the pry bar between the knuckle and the axle and it moved up/down. I surely hope it's not bearings. Christ I've only plowed twice lol. I'm well aware of the hardship and wear/tear on the truck but damn.

#56 ·
Well I guess I was wrong all along. Now that I finally jacked up the truck and checked. It definitely leads me to believe this is definitely a wheel bearing issue. By reading things online too it's gotta be it. Not to say the BJs can't be bad too but the clunking and movement is a bearing issue. Tearing into it tomorrow night. Napa quoted me $274/ea for the hub assembly.

#57 ·
I can't tell anything by your video

If you jack up the front and put a pry bar under the tire. Move it up and down and watch the ball joints. If they move Thats your problem. If you can wiggle the tire in and out by hand wheel bearing.

It could be both. You have to removing bearing to get to ball joints Thats why I said to check them

#59 ·
The bearing I did on my brother's mega had a lot of play in it. It also made some terrible noises. When you shake the wheel look at the knuckle, if the knuckle is still but the wheel moves its a bad bearing. Also the play will be the same in all directions.

My brother's truck is on 37's so I expect it to go through the bearings. That's why I went with the moog from advanced, it had a three year warranty vs the one year standard

#61 ·
I ordered the hub assemblies and all 4 BJs from napa. They'll be here today. I really can't be spending the money for everything but not a choice right now. I had my u joints replaced a few months back and they appear good still. I want to only tear this thing apart once, so I'll replace the hubs and BJs.

#62 ·
Ok once again I'm changed my mind.... In the ways of saving money. It's $300 cheaper to order the parts from rock auto, plus the hubs are timken. It'll take a few days to ship. Nothing is crucial and needs replaced now. It can wait a few days.

From what I'm reading, everyone seems to be very pleased with rock auto... I've never used them yet.

#63 ·
This goes against the standard rules for preventative maintenance but I'd just do the bearings. A small amount of movement in the lower joint is not too bad as long as you don't have death wobble. The geometry of the joints/knuckles is off on the aam axles and the first time you turn the wheels full lock you will start wearing the new joints out.

If you had a shop replace the inner axle u-joints they may have used heat to pull the hubs which can lead to premature failure. Using the snap on tool or deep socket with short extension to press the old hubs out is quick and easy and you can have it back together in no time. Save the ball joints for next year...

#64 ·
I may do that. Once we tear into it well see if they really need replacing or not. But I want to have everything just in case. I have no DW and truck drives fine, as in no slop in the steering. Rock auto shipped the parts today. Calling for multiple big snows starting Monday so I'm a little nervous about time. I want to get this fixed before they break completely...

#65 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.