1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2010 2500 Cummins ball joints

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by mega10cab, Jan 23, 2014.

1. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

Well looks like 2 storms of plowing have destroyed my ball joints. This past storm there was tons of clunking from the front end over bumps etc. With the plow off today it's still doing it over bumps. Looks as if lower ball joints on dodges are common. I'll lift it off the ground and check for movement this weekend.

So what are you guys running for plowing? I always upgrade to better parts, and with plowing I definitely want something stout. And from what I've read the axles are sealed so I can pull axles shafts without oil coming out. But I'll need a press right? Thanks.

2. skorum03

skorum03 2000 Club Member

I would assume you'll need a press. Not entirely positive on a 2010. Never worked on something that new. I just did ball joints and U joints and shocks on front end both sides. No more clunking for me.

3. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

My u joints were replaced about 8k miles ago under warranty. Reading online 2003-2011 are the same parts and same steps. I'll need a press. I've always worked on my own stuff but this seems pretty labor intensive.

Ive always had good luck with moog. Should I continue to use moog even with plowing?

4. skorum03

It is labor intensive for sure. Plowing is hard on things no matter what you;re using. Preservation of parts and a vehicle is in the hands of the operator.

5. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

Oh yeah. It's definitely hard on them. I've always known that. I plow pretty easy compared to tons of others I see. 10-15mph max and almost always in 2wd too. Now the manholes etc are a different story. I generally know where my problem ones are but during the terrible snows I'm sure I'm not the only one who loses track of them at times.

6. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

I vote Dyna Trac.

7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You need a ball joint press.

Moog is fine.

Check bearings too. Dodge is known for that

8. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

That price though!!! Commence chest pains now lol. To me, it's not worth spending tons of money on ball joints on these trucks. The lower takes all the vehicle weight so it's gonna wear fast no matter what. Lower BJs have always been a bad issue.

The uppers are more of a guide and take much longer to wear out. I'm not looking to replace those for awhile.

9. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

You have to take uppers out to do the bottom. The press goes through the top hole

10. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

Damnit lol. So by taking the uppers out their not reusable? Or is it one of those "their out, mine as well replace" deals?

11. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Idk about being reusable. It's defiantly one of those replace it while your in there things.

I just do all 4 every season. Do the bearings every other season.

I've used expensive and cheap it hasn't made a difference. I get them from advance with 30% off coupon online. Than pick up in store

12. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

The uppers wear out just as fast. If you're hearing a clunk the uppers might be the problem. They would allow the tire to wobble

13. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

That's the route I was looking at going, just some cheap advance ones. Are you using the TRT30 code? I've been using it for years lol.

14. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

Gotcha. I was reading how the uppers were much problem. Goes to show how long it's been since I've done ball joints, I was thinking the lowers caused the wobble.
    So who's local that wants to help? Lol I've got all tools besides the press which I can rent.

15. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Hope you have a torch too. We did the ball joints in my brother's 08 ram two years ago. It was a stubborn sob and took about a day and a half with a lift and s full compliment of tools. They needed done again this year. Needless to say, it went to the mechanics this time.

16. skorum03

Mine were a total bit&% to get off too. Everything was stuck. Took us about 2 days to do. Glad we had a torch.

17. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

Don't tell me this stuff lol. I don't have a lift but many years wrenching and jacks/stands and all the tools. My truck isn't that old but I'm sure there gonna be stuck. I'm 50/50 on doing this myself. It's gonna cost a ton to take to my mechanic but it's gonna be a major b!tch go do myself.

18. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

if you keep searching you will find an alternate to moog, dont get me wrong moog are the best of the best but I remember seeing an odd ball name that offers an indestructible version of ball joints, think of it this way , doing ball joints is a lot of labour, if you can do it all your self you are going to cut 60% off your bill,

19. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Do not use a torch on ball joints. That is a horrible idea. They literally explode very easily.

All you need a is BFH (ball pein) and a press. An air hammer helps.

You have to rake hub off spindle, pull axle out, and then take off spindle.

I can do a whole truck in an hour depending on rust. Sometimes the hubs are a pain in the ass to get off

20. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

Oh I'm very familiar with a BFH. Sometimes I over use one, especially during frustrating jobs. And I'm pretty sure advance auto still rents ball joint kits etc.

You should drive up and help one Saturday haha. Got a heated garage. Just no lift. I'll be doing it old school, floor jack and stands lol.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014