1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2010 1500 heat problem.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 06Sierra, Dec 26, 2010.

1. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

This is on my father in laws truck, the dealer can't figure it out and I'm curious. He bought this truck back in Feb. with an 8' fisher. He never used the plow until a couple weeks ago. When the plow is on, he loses heat in the cab, sometimes. If he is in town and keeps the heat at 78, there is no problems at all. When he is heading to work and gets moving faster than intown speeds, he looses heat. The blower works fine, it's just blowing cool air. When the plow is off, there is no issues at all. He took the plow off to drive it the 45 minutes to the dealer and had heat the whole way. Put the plow back on, no heat.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your dealer must not deal with too many plow equipped trucks or they would have known the cause right away.

The plow is disturbing the airflow thus the temperature around the ambient temp sensor behind the grill that the auto climate control uses to base it's output on. The plow creates enough of a low pressure area that heat from the radiator actually flows FORWARD therefore artificially warming the temp sender, the auto climate thinks it's warmer out than it is, it cuts heat output back and viola, you lose your heat. Pretty common issue on a plow equipped truck with auto climate control.

Relocating the ambient temp sender lower in the grill area and adding a snow deflector on the plow helps greatly.

3. 06Sierra

from Maine

Actually they deal with plows a lot, if that tells you anything! I will pass that on to him. They looked at a bunch of stuff when he brought it in. He hasn't had time to bring it back since then though.

What did they change in the newer trucks? I have an 06, my father in law had an 05, both with auto climate control and never had issues with the plow on.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Change was mostly in the software to make the system even more dependent on the exterior ambient sensor for better accuracy, which is fine until you change the airflow with a plow. The classic body's with auto climate would have this issue as well but it was much less common since they were far less dependent on the exterior sensor in their function.

5. 06Sierra

from Maine

Would this be an issue with the auto setting and using it manually?

6. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I have the same issue with my 2011 2500HD, especially at highway speed with the plow attached... the dash display will show temps of 60, 70, or even 80 degrees for outside air temp. I've found that turning off the auto climate control and just turning the heat on manual helps out... Dunno if it's just my imagination? It would stand to reason that in manual mode, it wouldn't rely on the ambient air temp sensor... or at least not as much. B & B... any thoughts?

7. 06Sierra

from Maine

That's what i was thinking. I don't use auto in my truck, don't really have a reason not too. I have just never used it.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Running in manual mode definitely helps on most trucks although it still monitors the ambient temp sensor and can make some adjustments from it. It just ignores it a little more.

9. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

It seems to help. When to temp on the dash display gets to 70 or 80+, the climate control turns the A/C on! I had an '08 2500 LTZ, basically the same interior and such as my 2011... never had this issue.

10. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

manual mode doesn't solve the issue as i NEVER use auto setting and this happens to me in manual mode with plow on. this is only an issue at some speed.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

For those that do not see an improvement even in manual mode see above.

12. Zigracer

Zigracer Member

Temp Sensor is correct!

My 2010 Silverado 1500 doesn't have the auto heat setting, but does have the ambient temp sensor. Showed an ambient temp during driving with the plow raised and straight of 84 degrees F. Outside temp was really 25. No problems with my manual only heat though.