1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

200lb. vibrator on SnowEx MiniPro

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by G.L. In Ont, Nov 30, 2013.

1. G.L. In Ont

G.L. In Ont Member

I want to mount a Sure-Flow Z80 (karrierco.com) on a SnowEx MiniPro in the hopes that it will let me do bulk.

I only need to salt two lots, one is 20,000 sq. ft. and the other is 10,000 sq. ft. A larger tailgate spreader isn't in the budget at the moment.

I am concerned that the Z80 might crack the plastic hopper of the MiniPro.

Any thoughts/suggestions/advice?

As always, thanks for the help.

Happy Plowing!!! :)

GL

2. G.L. In Ont

G.L. In Ont Member

** a couple things to add

I called both manufacturers and got a "it might" type of answer when I posed the question of whether the vibrator would crack the hopper.

THANKS

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

OK you have me confused. A Z80 is a 80lbs vibrator, the Z200 is a 200lbs unit. Yes, the Z200 will DESTROY your spreader while the Z80 was designed for it.

From the Karrier Webpage

4. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Yeah I have two z80s on two tailgate salters for two years now. Work great with no problems.

5. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Arctic snow Plows (not arctic sectional) sells a vibrator that will work for you. I forget which one it is, but u have used it on my snow ex tailgate and also my vboxes. Was reasonable priced when I purchased them in the past, don't know about this year.

6. G.L. In Ont

G.L. In Ont Member

My bad .. it is a Z-80 which is 80lbs

Thanks basher, terrapro and goel ... knew I could count on you guys.

I should have said it was 80lbs. that was my bad. Sorry for the slip-up.

:redbounce

My concern was that my little Snowex is the smallest one they make. That said, I suppose the thickness of the hopper plastic is likely the same as on the larger ones.

Anyhow, given that it's the smallest Snowex and the Z-80 do you guys still agree that I should have no probs with it?

Next question then is what is the best spot to mount it? I assume it would be at the back of the hopper between hopper and tailgate, but is it better to go closer to the throat, just above where the auger ends or where?

CHEERS GUYS! :drinkup:

7. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

I had mine up close to where the tapered bottom of the hopper meets up to the square upper part for a couple years. It worked, but felt like it could work better, so I moved it down low thinking it would help. Haven't used it like that yet. Wait and see.

8. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Is it the 575 or the really little one? I haven't seen what the really little one looks like in real life so I don't know if the plastic would hold up.
    I have the curtis version of the 575 so it's just orange instead of yellow and then I have a snowex 1075, on both I have Z80's and it's mounted down towards the auger on the back of the salter maybe 8-10" above the neck. I made my own backing plates out of doubled up sheet metal on the inside and outside of the hoppers.

Shakes the sheet out of them :D

9. G.L. In Ont

G.L. In Ont Member

Thanks guys!

Thanks Cole and Kwise ... that should help me with the positioning.

I also wondered about putting backer plates and if that would lessen the amount of vibration and in turn reduce the chance of the plastic hopper cracking.

I take it they were really simple Cole? How much thickness in total?

10. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

i have a z80 on my western 1000, its mounted about 6" from the throat just above the auger in the back, on the inside i have a 1/8" stainless plate for the bolts to go through and on the outside between the vibrator and spreader there is a 3/16" thick neoprene plate and it works great.

11. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

You don't need a vibrator to run bulk in the 575, all I run is bulk clearlane in mine.

12. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

Depends how wet it is. If it's good and dry you don't need a vibrator. If it's wet it still struggles with one.

13. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Mine is pretty wet, almost like cake batter.