1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

200A alternator worth it?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 02powerstroke, Dec 4, 2008.

1. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

Do you guys running 7.3s think its worth it to upgrade my alternator to a aftermarket 200amp set up? or will the stock 100AMP do ok? I'm runing a minute mount plow, leds grill lights,mini strobe bar,heater,lights,radio, and high power back up lights. Do you guys think it will handel it?
  2. platinumpimps

platinumpimps Member

yeah, it would for sure be a good idea to upgrade. when in doubt, go with the best. but running all that stuff, you are bound to have some trouble down the road. might as well do it now.
  3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

id run with what you have till you burn it out, then up grade....by then you might be in the market for batteries too
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

An alternator only puts out 1/3 of it's rated output at near idle RPM's which a diesel is working at nearly all the time. I am surprised your charging system has not given you an example of why you need 200 amps. That's a lot of draw running for a 100 amp alternator.
  5. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

I have the AUX idle control and its always at 14volts it drops to like 11 or 12 when I pick the plow up but it jumps right back.
  6. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

sounds about normal might wanna upgrade to a larger wired coming off the alt and run it direct to the battery . IMO i'd look into dual alternators with all those lights if you really think you need it .
  7. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

200-250 amp alternator worth every penny, no need for duals if you get a 200+
  8. davespark

davespark Junior Member
    from MN-WI

You mentioned you have a heater too, 12 Volt? You should probably add up your amps, see where you're at. I put in a 200 amp from dbelectrical, it's got a slightly smaller pully so it spins a bit faster at idle, boosting the output.

9. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

Have you had a problem with it yet? Larger wire and 200 A you should not have any problem.