1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2009 Western MVP Fluid Leak Question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Darafayen, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Darafayen

Darafayen Junior Member

Hey guys, i just had a MVP poly put on my truck yesterday and when i got home i noticed it was leaking hydraulic fluid from the top of the cylinder? i tightened the fill cap and the top cap on it and it still leaks, will this happen if they put too much fluid in the system? i dont know too much about these things yet so im trying to figure it out the best i can. Thanks

2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Mine at work did the same thing....
    Maybe over-full or air in the system.

Open fill plug...very slowly, let the air out, then take it off all the way.
    Let any fluid run out.
    Put back on, work plow through all the functions again a few times, repeat.

i had to do this 3 times and all was good.
  3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Fluid from the top of the cylinder usually means the packing nut isnt tight enough.
  4. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

That is what just happened on my pro plow the packing nut on the lift ram was loose and it destroyed the seal.

They also told me that it could be from excess power coating on the lift cylinder and that it got on the seal and threads so it is a warranty issue
  5. 33yearsinsnow

33yearsinsnow Senior Member
    from ohio

Is the Cylinder leaking or is the hydraulic unit leaking? I ask becouse you stated you tightened the fill plug and the top cap on it and it still leaks. Unlike the straight blades the MVP has the hydraulic reseviour on top of the unit and if it is leaking oil it is as SnowMatt stated overfull or air in the system.
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

They usually blow a little fluid out of the breather for a while. I wouldn't worry about it.