1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2009 silverado lt ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 350-CHEVY, Mar 12, 2009.

1. 350-CHEVY

350-CHEVY Member

i'm looking at picking one of these perty trucks up for a daily driver. i'm getting the 5.3/l with the flex thing that shuts off part of the engine on the highway. anyone heard of any isues witht these trucks? pros cons.. other than the you'll over load that or don't put a plow on it.

thanks guys
  2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Good question. I was wondering with the fuel management how she would respond while plowing.

On my NBS 2500; I had to add an extra trans cooler. The metal is thin. She has wheel hop. All rims lost their finish and had to be replaced. Windshield wiper blades ice up at the arm/blade mount worse than the older style. The front defroster do not hit the lower part of the window. Rubber door stripping rusts at the end points. Front fake chrome bumpers easily pit with road dings. Rear bumper is only for looks. Body allows for a ton of body twist. I just don't see mine lasting 10 years like my last truck.

On the upside; The truck starts, looks good from a distance, has power.
  3. dmcenery

dmcenery Member

Any undercoating or rustproofing added to your truck? How does the frame and underneath body areas look after 2 years of plowing and salting?

4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I had the full rust package put on by the dealer when I first bought the truck. When I got it home I also touched up areas they did not put on the applications properly. Bought my materials from Eastwood on the net.

As would be expected a few spots in the wheel well have the under coating missing but no rust. The edges of the frame rails have shown a little peel back of the under coating. Right now the rust is very surface level and only near edges.

Next month I'll wire brush, treat the rust and then re-apply a rubberized coating.

As for the body ... I have a few scratches which broke through the pain layer and there is no rust. They did seem to do a good job putting zinc on the panels. But, then the panels are wafer thin compared to my 97 k3500 but still way thicker than the toyota's.
  5. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Well, one thing I know is you can peel that FLEXFUEL logo off the tailgate right away it has one. Probably hurt the environment more making those stupid badges than the tiny tiny tiny possible amount they could have helped with the "technology"

As far as the multi cylinder management thing I haven't heard anything negative about, my buddy has a tahoe with it and I don't know of any problems with it.

6. 350-CHEVY

350-CHEVY Member

GripTruk, do you know what kind of mileage he is getting with the truck?

thanks for the replies
    hopefully going to sign the papers tomorrow, with any luck bring it home too