1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2009 Sierra 3500 Diesel Ballast?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cf1128, Oct 26, 2009.

1. cf1128

cf1128 Member
    from NH

After all the B.S. of trying to buy a 2009 extended cab 3500 or 2500 HD with an 8 foot bed, I am now settling for a Reg cab with the 8 foot bed. It is just a work truck so oh well, I will just be a little cramped.
    I am going with, or at least planning on going with an 8.5 Poly or Stainless xblade.
    The local Fisher dealer says at LEAST 1150 Ballast probably more. Any slick ballast designs? Ideas? Just wondering if you have any slick ideas?I know I can just load sand or cement blocks, but was asking something different than that.
    I do have a TLB so install/removal is not a prob.
    I do have front and rear Timbrens incoming and was also planning on a leveling kit.
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Chris

2. Racer593

Racer593 Member

In one of my trucks I used a piece if 1/2 steel plate cut just like a bed mat. Laid the bedmat, then the steel then my bedliner back in. No loss of bed space and if I remember correctly (10 yrs ago) that sheet was about 900 lbs. Then You could just add a little more at the rear.

Chris

3. cf1128

cf1128 Member
    from NH

Thanks.Sounds great.

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

That ballast amount seems pretty high to me. I have an 04 2500 hd and my blade weighs over 1000 lbs and I think I have about 650 lbs of ballast in the back. and it sits great. check with the online blade matching program on there website.

5. BoyneCityGuy

BoyneCityGuy Senior Member

Just a thought on the steel plate...actually the reason i dont have that in my truck...if you ever were in a wreck and got rear ended badly, or rolled the truck, that plate will be like a can opener thru the cab, and you. hate to be the one who brings that up, but its something to think about. no doubt its great convenient ballast, but i like safety too.

6. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

12-15 60lbs of sand that you can load in 5 minutes, and if you ever need it, you got sand.

7. Racer593

Racer593 Member

It was actually cut around the wheel wells so sliding forward wasnt really a worry. Kinda why I did it like that. But I had always planned to drop about 4 bolts thru the frame, but once it's in...well, you know! Great point though.
    Chris