1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2009 gmc 4 wheel sounds rough

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jvm81, Mar 12, 2013.

1. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I don't plow much with this truck but I did sand with it yesterday. 2009 hd gmc reg cab. 25k for miles. But when in 4 wheel things sounds terrible. Rough when you turn, sounds kinda like grinding going on. When out of 4 wheel it sounds fine, rides good, but if you turn sharp something doesn't sounds quite right. Ay ideas? Nothing leaking under neath that I see.

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Don't drive in 4x4 on dry pavement. Your truck is fine.

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Or even wet pavement or semi-icy pavement. I agree that your truck is likely just fine.

4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Could be a cv shaft going bad from driving on bare pavement in 4x4.

5. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Ok, now that the pavement issue has been thoroughly covered...did anyone notice that jvm81 didn't mention surface at all? Just in case jvm81 already knows about that and is describing a change in the way his truck operates, let's talk about other possibilities:

A failed hub bearing, which is a very common failure, can act exactly like that.

After all, he did say that something sounds not quite right when turning sharp in 2WD too.

6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Jack the front end up and see if you have play in your front wheels, grab the top of the tire and pull it in and out and if it moves then it is cv most likely.

7. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

That sounds like the standard wheel bearing test, although it's not conclusive...these hub bearings can make all kinds of noise and pass every test. :(

8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  9. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I think after reading his post 3 times it's crabbing--either from him driving on dry pavement or possibly his front axle is engaged without him realizing it.

10. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Its a 2009 with 25K the C-V joints are fine the bearings are fine .Dont drive on dry pavement in 4x4 turning. There all better..

11. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Never in 4x4 much. When I use this truck sanding no need to be in 4 wheel I don't think. Plowing we'll run in 4wheel but this truck sounds rough. I have 5 other gmc trucks and this one just doesn't seem right. I realize no dry pavement and turning in 4 wheel but even in 2 wheel there is something that is not quite right. Maybe this weekend we jack it up and see what we find. Thanks for the input.