1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2009 GMC 2500hd How heavy of blade can it handle?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mstapper, Jul 28, 2010.

1. mstapper

mstapper Junior Member
    from Iowa

Hello, I am new to plowing and want to put a plow on my 2009 2500hd. The truck does NOT have a plow prep package from the factory. I know I need timberens and would like a leveling kit but have herd a leveling kit may hurt the rear end. Also the front axels are rated for 4,200 pounds. How heavy of a blade can I put on the truck and still be safe? One salesman told me a Hinker Poly V Blade would work and another told me it would be to heavy and to buy his snow way scoop blade. What should I do? I want my truck to be level all year around, but more importantly don't want to hurt my truck or do anything it is not rated for. Thanks!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If you don't want to hurt your truck,don't plow with it!

3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

If you dont want to hurt your truck dont drive it... Driving uphill and downhill is hard on it LOL

4. mstapper

mstapper Junior Member
    from Iowa

What I am saying is I dont want to put a blade on my truck that it is not rated for.

5. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Then do some research yourself and look at how much the blades weighs (you obviously have the internet)... Then scale the front end of your truck and minus that weight off your front axle compacity....

6. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

If you want to really put a plow on the truck, then you could spend some $$$ and switch out your torsion bars for the plow prep bars.

7. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes but that wont make ur fawr any higher. The plow prep alternator is a good to have also.

8. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

all the plow manufacturers have a web based look up for every truck. you can use that and find out what is recommended for your truck and be perfectly safe (at least weight wise) assuming that you use proper ballast in the rear as well.

9. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

really dumb question...the truck is a 4x4 right? What cab config?

I see 4500 or 4800 on all of the quick matches on some of the mfg's sites.

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a CCSB duramax and I run an older 810 Blizzard.

I have timbrens and 4 turns on the torsion bars.

11. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

I'm in the same situation, same make model and yr. We're going to put an 8' fisher HD blade on it (about 800lbs all said and done) load up some ballest ( i'm gonna do about 800lbs of ballest maybe alittle more) and call it good.