1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2009 f550

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by PrecisionS&I, Sep 19, 2012.

1. PrecisionS&I

PrecisionS&I Member
    from Ohio

Looking for some imput. Found a 2009 Ford F550 cab and chassis with a 6.4l diesel. never had a plow for sale. Wondering what to be aware of and what anyone thought.
    The asking price is 20k.
  2. PrecisionS&I

PrecisionS&I Member
    from Ohio

Update Sorry its a 2008 with 104,000 miles heres a carfax service report.

06/11/2010 70,041
    Maintenance inspection completed
    Front brake pads and rotors replaced
    Electrical system checked
    Engine checked
    Engine timing/front cover gasket replaced
    Cooling system checked
    Tires rotated and balanced
    Four wheel alignment performed

09/10/2010 75,786
    Electrical system checked
    Engine compression checked
    Maintenance inspection completed
    Fuel injector(s) replaced
    Oil and filter changed
    Fuel pressure checked
    Engine checked
    Valve cover gasket(s) replaced
    Engine oil cooler replaced/repaired
    EGR/DPFE feedback sensor replaced
  3. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

ask the dealer for the ford oasis report, that will show what has been done under warranty.
  4. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

i bet you would get better advice on this if you posted it in ford truck discussion
  5. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

excellent chassis, excellent auto trans, horrible fuel economy - think big block gasser. Engine is arguably more dangerous than the 6.0. One of the more destructive problems is diesel fuel filling the crankcase due to horrible blowby. This was a short lived engine that at one point was completely out of stock from ford at one point - possibly still - so when it blew the dealer had to replace with a rebuilt one. Cost for rebuilt 6.4 - $17,000
  6. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

Definitely more reliable than a 6.0l. reason they got rid of it was to go to a urea engine instead of the dpf/regen.....
  7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

And a picture for the picture section would have been cool. Thumbs Up
  8. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

That engine completely blows, worse than the 6.0... consider yourself warned
  9. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

So what is soo bad / common problems with the 6.4?

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

If I had to choose between the 6.0 and the 6.4 I would take the 6.4 but not considered a great engine. I do have one of the 6.7's and it has been great so far, if you are looking for a 550 I would try to find a deal on one with a 6.7
  11. Cutter1

Cutter1 Senior Member

6.4 is as bad as the 6.0!!
  12. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

Thats what im wondering....i have my close friends and family with them and i dont see why everyone is bashing the 6.4.....
  13. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

The 6.4 is probably the best diesel that has been put in a Ford! If you ditch the emissions crap they are great.
  14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

While not as simple and reliable for the general public who just hops in the truck and goes as a 7.3 is a tuned and deleted 6.4 is a nice ride. If you leave them stock expect problems, couple simple upgrades and their awesome. Several of my friends run them with great success and our farm pickup is also a 6.4. DPF Delete and a 210 tune makes one very quick work truck that can still be trusted with most anyone behind the wheel.