1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2009 f150 as a spare for snow removal, good idea or not?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by joe-8744, Mar 13, 2012.

1. joe-8744

joe-8744 Junior Member

I do residential snow removal with a John Deere 6200. Recently I purchased a 2009 F250 cc with a v10. I have a plow installed on it but I'll only use it if the tractor breaks down. I love the truck but I'm finding it very hard on gas ( 6-8 mpg not towing or pushing snow). The problem is that during the winter I use the truck daily but my trips are all one or two kms. each way so the truck never reaches normal opperating temperatures. I was considering buying a 2009 f150 platinum with a 5.4 and installing a 7.5' plow. I know it's not the ideal truck for snow but it might push snow maybe once or twice a year. I also only carry some tools in the summer and pull a pop-up camper once in a while. Does anybody use f150's and if so is it a good idea?

2. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

You can hang a plow off of an F-150 and actually plow with it. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than light / residential plowing though. They're great trucks, but they're not Super Duties. That said, for residential duty you should do just fine.

One caution for you. The Platinum edition is the heaviest F-150 you can buy due to the option load and hanging a plow off the front end just adds even more weight. Just be careful.

3. joe-8744

joe-8744 Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. Like I said the truck will only do snow if the tractor breaks down. The last couple of seasons I haven't had to use the truck for snow at all. I will have the plow removed from the f250 tommorrow , apparently they can use most of the equipment except for the blade and a few odds and ends. Is there a snow plow package for the f150 and if so will this affect the ride?
    I will probably take possession of the truck on friday. I'm looking forward to getting decent gas mileage again.

4. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Although you'll get better mileage with the 5.4 in an F-150 than in a Super Duty, don't expect miracles. I had a 2005 regular cab / short box XLT with the 5.4 / automatic and a 3.55 LS rear end. The absolute best I ever got out of it was 16.9 MPG - and that's pretty much the absolute lightest F-150 configuration you can buy. I'd expect maybe 14 MPG in a Platinum. Beautiful trucks though!

5. joe-8744

joe-8744 Junior Member

Agreed, there might not be a much of a difference between an f250 and f150 with a 5.4 . In my case I am getting at best 8 mpg with my v10 if I do all highway with no load. So if I get 14 mpg, I'll be a very happy camper. I would have preferred the f250 but when buying used you get what you find. Because this truck is my daily driver and use it for family outings, I always buy with all the creature comforts. It's hard to find that with an f250.