1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2009 chevy 2500hd. questions?!?!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by tshustack, Dec 6, 2014.

1. tshustack

tshustack Junior Member

Hi, names tyler I'm 23 and got a 2009 chevy 2500hd with a western wideout ultra finish with the system ultra mount. It has 2 big plugs coming out the grill and 3 port isolation module. I dont know much about the whole set up but I used the plow all last year worked great. Well this year I went to hook it up and I realized I have no power. I checked fuses, powers, grounds etc. I noticed that if I have the power and ground plugget in passenger side I still have no power. Then if I plug and unplug the lights plug (driver side) the joystick turns on. I have no idea where to start please help!!!!

Thanks, tyler

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Your supposed to have both plugs plugged in for it to power up.

3. tshustack

tshustack Junior Member

I know that haha. But if I have them both plugged in I lose power to the controller

4. dieselss

Have You changed anything? And repairs done?
    The clicker gets gnded via the main power plug back through the other plug.
    Have you looked at westerns website, library, wiring diagrams?

5. tshustack

tshustack Junior Member

No just let the plow sit all summer. I checked the fuses every where and all continuity tested the wires to make sure there's no break. I didn't go to westerns site. I figured this wout be the best place to.go first.

6. dieselss

Did you pull off the cover off the plow and Ck.inside there?
    Also prob for power and gnd at the solenoid?

7. tshustack

tshustack Junior Member

Yes I check the fuses in there too. I plug the lights in to the grill cable and bam. Nothing. I checked all the wires in the light plug's. Plow works fine one I plug in and unplug the lights. I checked the wire in the cab fuse box etc. If I jump the lights the plow works. Plug the lights in. No plow.

8. dieselss

How are you jumping the lights?

9. tshustack

tshustack Junior Member

Sorry I didnt mean jumping. I just put power to them to make sure they worked. I also tested the wores from the lights to the plug and they all checked out fine.

10. dieselss

Double Ck the solenoid, you should have a small wire coming off it going back in to the harness, that's so power wire for the Iso. And did you look at the wiring diagrams yet

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  11. tshustack

tshustack Junior Member

I double checked everything. How do i check the solenoid. I just dont want to screw nothing else up.

12. dieselss

With a test light. Make sure it's got power on the big terminal, and the small wire off that

13. tshustack

tshustack Junior Member

Solenoid is good..

14. dieselss

Look at this

Screenshot_2014-12-06-09-15-50.jpg

15. tshustack

tshustack Junior Member

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it.

16. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

When you plug in the lights (that's the plug with 11 small pins) the controller should light up and allow you to turn it on. If you turn the controller on with only the light plug connected the red light should flash indicating no communication because the two little wires in the second plug are not connected. When both plugs are connected correctly the controller sould light up and nothing should flash when you turn it on.

I am confused. You say if you plug in and then unplug the lights the plow works? If that is true you have some serious problems. The plow should not work unless both plugs are connected. One plug activates the system and connects the lights. The other plug provides battery power to the plow (big two pins) and connects the controller multiplex communication wires between controller and plow decoder module. (Two small pins)

There are I think 6 fuses onboard the plow and two near the isolation module (under the hood truck side).

I hope you are not pumping power into the isolation module plugs randomly because you could damage the isolation module.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  17. tshustack

tshustack Junior Member

Thanks again guys I forgot to let you know I solved the problem. I had broke 12v. It read 12 Volts coming out of the 4 wire plug but somewhere in the 3ft of cable it was was broke and it read 6.5 volts. Ran a new wire and fuse and everything turned out great.
    Thanks again for everything

18. tshustack

tshustack Junior Member

Mishnick,
    I had the plugs coming off the factory headlights reversed. I had Com to low 1-a instead of Com to com causing it to act like grounding out but the wire was the main problem..and I was only checking continuity on the modules