1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2009 2500HD/3500HD SRW- Gas or Diesel?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mkwl, Sep 13, 2009.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Well, it's back to the age old arguement- Gas or Diesel? I'm looking to trade up to a newer truck (just getting fed up with costly repairs and no warranty).

Now, I've gotten a price of $31,500 on a new 2009 Chevy 3500HD SRW with the 6.0L V8 (gas) W/T1 Package, RC/LB, and a 8'Fisher plow.

I also got a price of $43,500 for a similarly equipped truck, but a 2500HD with the D-Max, and no plow.

Now- anyone out there with the NBS 2500HD/3500HD trucks with the Gas engines- what kind of mileage are you seeing with the new 6L80E trans? Does this trans have the ability to "manually shift" like the Allison?
    Adequate power from the 6.0L (I have one in my current truck but don't have the new trans or 3.73 gearing)?

What kind of mileage are you D-Max guys seeing?

I'm a college student on a somewhat tight budget, I tow max of 10K during the summer months, and plow in the winter.

2. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

I have the d-max and get 15+ around town towing a 5000lb trailer...nephew has the same truck with the 6.0, and gets 12-13 around town w/o towing. Yes the 6.0 has the same style tranny as the ally. Both trucks are NBS 07's reg cabs. I got my dmax for 34k w/o a plow. This was when the 08 were just comming out, and diesel prices were on the rise.
    Think I read on here that the 09-10 dmax is not vailable with a plow prep. Voids waranty if you put a plow on them.
  3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I cant vouch for the newer models but I have an '04 2500HD 6.0 and a '05 2500HD 6.6 LLY Duramax. I have plowed and towed with both myself and after you use the Duramax you wont want anything else. You will be fine with the 6.0, but if you can afford the maintenance and payments on a Duramax, go that route. You wont be disappointed!
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

D-max, d-max, d-max....i dont need to say it again! Look around, you can probably find an 06-08, maybe even 09 slightly used kicking around for A LOT less money than what your quoted for on a new one and would still be under warranty. Depreciation hits hard as soon as you take it off the lot, why not let someone else take the hit for you? Got my 06 w/ 10k miles for $28k in April, sticker on it was around $60k when it was new in 06. I still have my bumper to bumper warranty until the end of October this year and my powertrain warranty until 2011.

I'm seeing about 17-18 MPG in my truck but that's because i really like the sound of my exhaust =]
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  5. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Question: Would I void the warranty putting a plow on an Ex/CC truck without plow prep (as I don't believe plow prep was an option with the diesel/crew or extended cab?
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes you'd certainly be opening a door for it to happen that I wouldn't recommend.

It can depend on the dealer whom is actually performing any warranty work. Some will overlook it as long as there's no need to get a regional GM rep involved or there's no dispute as to the cause of the warranty work needed but it's not worth the risk to take a chance that may burn you later. If you intended to install a plow then get a truck that's plow prep equipped.
  7. azandy

azandy Member

09 Chev

I have an 09 Chev ext cab with the plow package and 6.0 liter gas. I can put a 8'2" Boss plow on it but won't. The fuel mileage is better than the old ones but this truck driveline is poor. It doesn't shift right and has no power at all. I can barely pull a skid loader trailer behind it. I can't even imagine putting a plow on this thing. I'm trying to get GM to buy it back or I'll trade it in and loose big. I should never had traded in my Duramax. GM sent a rep to my dealer to drive it and said they don't have a way to fix the problem. Not really sure how this is possible. Pulling a trailer down the Hwy at 65mph and it won't shift up. It runs at 3500 rpm and gets 5.1 mpg. This new GM 6 speed transmission is not going to make it.
  8. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

Hire a lemon law lawyer in your area. Easy process and you WILL get results.
  9. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Hmm. If you go diesel, my suggestion is pre-07 if you don't want to deal with all the new emissions junk (esp. the DPF). Anything bigger than reg. cab with the dmax and a plow would void warranty. As for the new 6-speed, it does have manual tapshift. The guy I bought my truck off of picked up an 09 reg. cab with the 6.0. I might just ask him how he likes it.

I personally think that its just a general thing with the 6-speeds. Alot of 1/2 ton owners are saying the same. 6 gears, but it doesn't know how to make up its mind. I think that they might be mapped out for economy a little more, and the shift points are matching for that fuel economy. Alot of 6-speeds (although I dont think the same problem exists for the Allison) are doing this, even my mom's 09 Mercury Mariner. And unless I am wrong, but to my understanding, the HD's with the 6.0 get the 6L90, not the 6L80.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  10. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

OKay- if I do decide to go with a gasser (if I decide to go with a new truck)- would I be better off with the 3.73 gearing or the 4.10 gearing? The dealer has both, and the 3.73 is $4K cheaper...
  11. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

I went from a 3:73 6.0L to one with 4:11s and I lost about 4 mpg. Same truck otherwise. I wish I would of ot another with 3:73s I do more driveing while not seriously working the truck than when I am working it. So I would use the MPG more than the power.
  12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you want better unloaded MPG's you want 3.73's. If you want more pulling power while loaded then you want the 4.10's. It's all in what you want and intended to use it for.
  13. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Any mileage figures for the 3.73's versus the 4.10's. I'd be pulling a 10K max dump trailer 20 times a year or so and plowing with the truck...

14. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Well I did not go to college but,

to me there is around a $17,000 price difference after you put the plow on the diesel. By the time you wear out the gas motor you will have depreciated the truck on your taxes, it will be several years old, worked hard, probably will not look that great. If it were my hard earned money, I don't think spending $17,000 extra on a pick-up that will depreciate in real dollars of value everyday is smart just to have a diesel. I am sure others may disagree, but thats my .02. I think the 6.0 motor in those trucks is a good overall value, and the diesel option is way over rated and priced as well. Best of luck with your purchase.
  15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then I would go with the 3.73's. The low first gear ratio in the trans (much lower that you're used to in fact) makes up for any off idle/low speed ratio loss from the 4.10's anyway.

Whats also interesting and very different with these transmissions is that they have no "direct" gear in them. 1st thru 4th are underdriven (obviously) and 5th and 6th are both overdriven...there is no 1:1 direct ratio.
  16. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

$17,000, Huh??????????????????
  17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The difference in price is $12,000 and the less expensive one comes with a plow, worth $5,000=$17,000.

I would buy the gas one for sure.
  18. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Do you guys think $32,000 for a 09 3500HD W/T with a fisher 8' plow is a good deal? That's what I'm looking at now...
  19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Does W/T mean stripper?
  20. 2005_Sierra

2005_Sierra Senior Member

My dad has an 08 2500HD gasser, auto 3.73's. he gets about 11 MPG unloaded ( he has a heavy foot) and about 9 MPG mixed between towing the bobcat and just normal city driving. If u do get new truck i suggest rear airbags just because the truck looks a whole lot better towing the trailer when it's sitting level instead of back end heavy. he also has a 7 6 Boss on the front end and the truck pushes very well
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009