1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2009 2500 Suspension ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by IA Farmer, Feb 25, 2010.

1. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

I have a snowplow on my 2009 CCSB. I am wondering if I put reindexing keys on it to level the front end if that will help carry the weight of the plow or if timbrens would be better. I want to level the truck anyways I am just wondering if the new keys stiffin the suspension at all? Thanks

2. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I'm no expert on this but as far as I know whether you use keys or just crank the bars, the ride should be the same if you're sitting at the same height. Neither will increase the weight carrying capacity, they will just make the truck start out higher. If your truck sits at 25 inches and sags to 23 with the plow, and you raise it to 28 inches, it will still sag 2 inches, but that 2 inches would be 26 inches now. Timbrens will actually stop or reduce the sag.

I have the same truck but an extended cab and i wouldn't say it sags much, it just is pretty low to begin with, so you might be fine with just cranking it. At a certain point you'll either need to get new shocks or relocate them.

If I had gotten my truck back from the body shop today as they promised me I could tell you right now, but it's snowing, and instead of being out plowing I'm sitting here on the computer. :(

-Jer

3. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

My 08 sags about 1". I set my z-height to the factory specified 4.5". I took 5 turns on the t-bar bolts to get the z-height to factory specs.

4. marylandbigb

marylandbigb Member

i installed the torsion keys on my 09 2500 hd ECLB and it didnt raise the truck!! i read in some reviews today on a suspension site that others are having this same problem!!! i work for chevrolet and i do not see any suspension changes so what is causing this??? any ideas??

5. mossman381

What keys did you put in?

6. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

Basically did the same thing Mossman did. 4th winter with this truck. CCSB D/A 8' plow w/wings. No problems at all. Also looks alot nicer when the plow is off.

7. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but what is the z-height

8. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry to say but that is wrong. If your truck is at 25 and sags to 23 with the plow on and you raise it to 28, it will still sag to 23, so it will sag 5 instead of 2. The only thing that will help is putting heavier torsion bars on.

Z height is the correct way to measure the height of a Chevy truck. I forget exactly where the points are but I'm sure someone on here has the diagram that explains it better.

9. mossman381

Not a dumb question. This is how you measure z-height. You can see my z-height at that time was about 4". I turned my bars a bit more to get the 4.5". That is the gm spec.

[​IMG]

10. mossman381

You are wrong. Grip Truk is right. I know this because I have measured my truck and turned my bars up.

11. lilweeds

The truck will still sag down to the bump stops. Turing up the torsion bars will only make it sag further. I have lots of experience with guy complaining about this. Now if it's a 7.5 blade on a gas truck your thought may hold true, but a 9.5 v on a diesel it will just sag further.

12. marylandbigb

marylandbigb Member

they were from suspension connection they were tuff country i bouth the whole kit with the add a block when i lowered the truck off the lift it sat extremely high in rear so i took out the blocks

13. mossman381

I don't have any experience with the diesels, but I would guess that a ccsb 2500hd would have the heaviest t-bars they have. I am not sure what the weight difference is, but I would think that turning the bars up would do something. It wouldn't make it sag further.

14. lilweeds

By cranking the bars the torsional strength of the bar is un changed. The biggest bars are typically not found in any of the trucks from the factory. Even my diesel does not have the largest bars.

Point is the cranking the bars only changes ride height. It is used for getting the correct z height. If you want more carrying capacity (less sag) you need to step up to bigger bars. The problem is the bars only go up so far, and for example my truck going up to the next bar is only a 2-3% gain, thus not really worth it. Timbrens do help with sagging, but the only real way to prevent it will be to get a 2011 truck.

15. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

I have a CCSB D/A set up. Griptruk is right. Everything is relative. Running 5 GM's w/torsion bars. Have them all cranked up min. of 5 turns. Better ride height and minimal sagging. No Timbrens.

16. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Not sure where you are getting your info. Turning up the bar preloads it which will make it stiffer. It is progressive just like a leaf or coil spring. The more you twist it the harder it is to twist. As far as changing out the bars almost everything (25-3500) come with GK-8615tq rating or GL-8782tq rating bars I haven't personally seen an XG-9054tq rating. Everything I have has GL's except the 97' and I don't know what the 90' has

17. mossman381

Thank you SawHoss. I think that lilweeds is just trying to justify a brand new 2011 :D I don't like the idea of timbrens. I think the suspension should hold the weight, not the bumpstops.

18. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I need to do something with mine too. I have a '10, and with the plow on, my front tires rub the mud flap while im turning. I have the stock tires/wheels, 17's.

Bars are cranked all the way. Might be doing timbrens if it'll help.

19. mossman381

It looks like the 2009 and 2010 trucks sag alot more than the 08-under trucks. I wonder if they changed something. Cheaper t-bars maybe. It is hard to tell what gm is doing to save money these days.

20. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

What bars are on it? Being new the tag will still be on the bars tag will be yellow with red writing LGL/RGL or LGK/RGK.