1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2009 2500 HD, any tips on solenoid location?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by GripTruk, Apr 5, 2009.

1. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I'm in the midst of installing the plow setup on my new truck, Got the frame mount in (took a little longer than expected because I wanted the to keep the tow hooks intact) now I'm on to the wiring.

On my last truck locating the solenoid was an issue and this one seems to be the same. Needs to be pretty close to the battery unless I want to run a long lead to it, The current one is maybe 16 inches or so, a pretty short leash.

i'm hoping to find a nice clean easy place to mount the solenoid so if I have to swap it out in the middle of the night during a storm at some point, I won't be crawling around under the truck trying to find the other side of some bolt. I'm even thinking of mounting a backup solenoid right next to it so it's ready to go in the event of a failure, I'd probably have to fab up a bracket in that case.

The other thing I was wondering is if anyone has any tips on a nice place to tap in for the turn signals and running lights.

2. Firemanfive0

Firemanfive0 Member
    from Midwest

I've mounted mine on the fan shroud on the main battery side (drivers). This is on a 2004 silverado, haven't looked at the new chevys. this also helped in keeping all the wires neat and together.
  3. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Hmm, Yeah, my battery is on the pass side behind the airbox.

I had my last one on the fan shroud and it worked but it seemed a little "in harms way" kind of, easy access, for sure, but I wasn't totally pleased with it.

4. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i'v been mounting the ones i install under the coolent tank right by the battery. not the easiest to get to but we havent had many solenoid issues with the boss's.
  5. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I mounted mine below the battery, i would have to look, but i just removed a bolt from a bracket, or brace, and mounted it there, this summer i want to install my second battery, then i will mount it by the second battery on the drivers side. If i remember i can get pics tonight.