1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2008dakota what set up

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by scottcoda, Nov 4, 2007.

1. scottcoda

scottcoda Junior Member

i am considering buying a 2008 dakota ext cab 3.7 v6 4x4 ...i was wondering what would be a good set up for this truck, i was looking at boss plows but they do not have a mount at this time for this truck.... i will be doing a couple of driveways and a small 150x150 parking lot ...any suggestions would be appreciated thanks Scott
  2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I think either a Fisher Homesteader or a Curtis Home Pro would be a good setup for your truck, but I doubt they have mounts yet. Are you sure you want to get a V6? The new V8 is supposed to be amazing.
  3. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Meyer 7 foot blade. DP series or ST series. And yeah spring for the V8!
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  4. DeereFarmer

Hopefully by 2009 I'll be ready for a new one. I'll give Dodge a year to work out the bugs on the new V8 and then one will be sitting in my garage!
  5. DeereFarmer

I priced out an '08 Dakota and yikes they are expensive. A simple '08 crew cab, sport, V8, bedliner, and a tow package will run you a cool $32K. All it had was A/C and a single CD player. No other options. I don't even want to know what a Laramie would cost.
  6. RipT

RipT Senior Member

You should have plenty of power with the V6, especially if you plow in low range like I do. The V6 will be lighter also, which will help since you do not have a strong front-end to begin with. One of the Homesteader types as mentioned above or a 6.5 or 7 ft Lt duty should work for your application.

Add Timbrens up front if they make them for your truck. Three hundred to 500 lbs of sand or well- secured ballast over and behind the rear axle will help a lot also.

Good Luck
  7. Dakota2004

Dakota2004 Senior Member

Listen if you get the dodge go with the boss sport duty plows, you can get either 7 or 7 1/2 footer, i did crazy research and this is the best one next to the fisher LD which might not even fit the new trucks.

Now back to the truck, if you get the dakota if you are able to afford the v8 its a great investment, its better on gas than the v6 and the truck really is adog with the v6.
  8. scottcoda

scottcoda Junior Member

thanks guys

i did some research and i did not go with the dakota it was too expensive (more then most of there 1/2 ton hemis)... i wound up buying a 08 chevy 1500 reg cab with the 5.3 flex fuel and plow prep package so if you guys have any advice for a decent(but affordable around 3k), set up on that truck let me know
  9. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Well that opens up your options some! Fisher RD 7'6" or a LD weighing a bit less.
  10. itzkcatz

itzkcatz Member
    from CT

Get the v8, Dont worry about problems dakotas suck anyway and it will explode im sure. I had a 02 dakota that i couldnt keep a tranny in
  11. DeereFarmer

We have NEVER had a tranny problem on any of our three Dakotas that we've had.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Well mine blew at 25k then 40k. So good luck
  13. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys.... he didn't get the Dakota! We have to get him a plow for his bowtie 1500
  14. DeereFarmer

HMMMM... Well, that sucks.

As for a plow. 7'6" Fisher LD or RD all the way. Can't beat them.
  15. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Ditto, my Dakota was a 98 (everyone said that era of daks had bad trannys until 2001) and it had the 3.9 in it and I was pulling a 16ft open trailer with 2 riders and a wb on it. It was way overweight but I managed with it for a year, and never had tranny issues. However after that year I did sell it so I do not know what the next guy did to it.

Bottom line, everyone complains about dodge trannys, however Ive had one Dakota without a trans problem, my bro has had 2 Dakotas and 1 ram without any problems. Sometimes I think its an excuse for the ford/Chevy man to put down dodge, or its the people who do not take care of their trucks like they should (tranny flush, etc.) and then blame the manufacture instead of their own stupidity.

BTW: I do not favor dodge over the other (or vice versa), I just favor the Big 3 and will always buy which ever compareable model is the cheapest, so far it looks like Chevy (which has also had the least amount of problems).
    Good Luck with your new truck, take good care of it.
  16. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Dodge Trans.

I run 3 dodge plow trucks, 1995 2500 V-10, 1996 Ram1500 5.9, and 2004 Ram 1500 Hemi.
    I have always been a dodge customer. Had my first power wagon as a kid and have been loyal every since. When I started plowing years ago I heard all the horror stories about the transmissions. An old time plower told me to take my tran in for service and when I did to have them replace the cloth screen in the trans with the metal replacement. The reason for this being that with the dodge trans when it was below freezing the cloth tends to freeze and not allow the proper circulation which cause it to heat up then go out. I did this right off and never had a single trans problem in any of the trucks. I pilot car, plow snow and they are use during the summer for my construction business. I do not baby my truck but I do maintain them according to the man specs.