1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2008 Unimount snow plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by rickluc, Feb 9, 2016.

1. rickluc

rickluc Junior Member

Here in mid north Indiana I had to use plow this morning. Everything works well except the left side blade will not scoop. You can here fluid pressure noise when I push the left scoop button but the cylinder is trying to retract instead of extending. I tried a different controller with the same results. Any advice and/or suggestions? Thanks

Sorry guess I should have added it's a Western snow plow. Trying to finish up removing the snow with a straight blade sure brings back the BAD OLD DAYS

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

If it is a 2008 year, it would be an ultramount and is it sounds wide out?

Are we on the right track with what we are working on here?

3. Philbilly2

If we are talking about a wideout here:

Any chance any service was done to this plow?

It almost sounds like you have a pair of hoses crossed.

If it is trying to retract when you are calling for extend, that is about the only thing that pops into my head.

Can you try the wing only function at the bottom left of your controller and see if it will extend and retract when commanding the left wing only.

We can go into valves and orifice plates, but I have a feeling it is way before that.

4. rickluc

rickluc Junior Member

That's what I have tried. If I do the scoop button the right wing goes forward and the left wing goes back. Then if I push the wing button it will still try to go back. If I push the left wing button and get the blade all the way back and then push the right wing button to move it all the way forward I have a straight blade pushing left. Then I can push the R button to straighten out the blade to push straight. Even the vee button will bring both blades back. Then by pushing the right wing button the right wing will go forward, but by pushing the left wing button the blade still wants to go backward. I finally figured out to get blade in scoop position. I angle straight blade to right and then push right wing button to move right wing forward. I think it must be a solenoid and/or tappet not opening to release pressure so the wing button will let me move it forward. Not sure though. all I can say for sure is it's a Western multiposition MVP plow that was put on 2008 Ford Truck when new. Thanks

5. Philbilly2

Ah...

Sorry bud... wrong guess on the plow we were working with. Now we are headed down the right road.

Check the #2 fuse on harness C in the pump housing.

I will bet it is blown.

6. Philbilly2

Since a picture is worth a thousand words... ran back in the shop and took one.

Curb side of the pump housing, remove rubber retaining ring from the bottom and lift the rubber flap on the top. The entire side cover will come off.

At the top of all the garbage in there, you will see a little black fuse holder, remove cover and you will find two little fuses in there.

Start there, let me know what you find and we can move on if the #2 fuse is not in fact blown.

MVP Fuses.PNG

20160209_122933.jpg

7. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Wow. Kudos to you man. Way to help out.

8. Philbilly2

I sometimes have those moments were I post something that makes so much sense to me, but shortly after posting realize that a little more info would be helpful to some.

Typically slow days at the office... :eek:

9. Sawboy

Oh, so every day this year!

>:-/

10. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Did anyone mention that there is another pair of fuses no the other side of the plow? There are 4 fuses in under that cover, three are for valve coils as I recall and the fourth is for the plow module and solenoid. Sometimes those fuses just come loose and when you pull the cover they go flying.... While you are in there look at all the black coils on the valves. Make sure the bayonette connectors are fully seated. If one comes off it will behave the same as a blown fuse. If all the fuses and coil wires are good it will probably be a sticky valve.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  11. rickluc

rickluc Junior Member

Sorry but I'm not knowing what plow I have. I'm not at work now, but will try to send you a picture tomorrow. This picture you posted looks like my bosses plow motor and its like a 2013. My plow only has a triangle box with solinolds in it. Each box is spaced top, bottom, and both sides. I think maybe my fuses are under hood? Let me try and send picture tomorrow and get on the right track. Your spending a lot of time and trying to help me and I afraid I'm not telling you what year plow I have. Thanks

12. mishnick

If you have three black plastic boxes with valves, one top, one side one bottom then you have a regular MVP (V plow). A wide-out has an 8ft straight blade with two small retracting wings. If you have the regular MVP then you will have three plugs at the grill. These models have no fuses on the plow at all. Your problem could be in the handheld controller, the wiring somewhere between the controller and the valves, could be a bad coil or a bad valve. If you do in deed have an MVP it would be an easy test to try a different controller. Do you have a spare or know a friend with the same controller you could borrow to test?

13. rickluc

rickluc Junior Member

Please find attached pictures.

IMG_7574.JPG

IMG_7575.JPG

IMG_7576.JPG

14. Philbilly2

Oh boy...

Alright. A picture is worth a million words here. That helps huge!!!

The 2008 thing is what is throwing me off. We are not working on anything even close to 2008.

You do have a unimount there so my apologizes for correcting you earlier, but that truck and plow are not from 2008. Unimounts have not been produced since very early 2000's and what I can see of the front end of that truck puts it at a much earlier model Ford truck. (looks to be a 99-04 grill)

So, lets get down to the issue.

You have a unimount so you have 2 plugs out the grill with the good old relay system. Let me get out a unimount book here as my memory is fading on those plows.

What I believe your problem to be is the S4 is not shifting. Why this is could be a couple of things.

Start with testing your power to the coil. If you have a multimeter or a test light, take the cover off, have someone press the left wing extend or scoop buttons, and test across the S4 coil with the request for movement of the left wing. If you have twelve volts there, we can move on to pulling and checking coils and movement of the valve.

Here is a breakdown of which coils are which.

MVP Unimount.jpg

15. Philbilly2

Don't worry about it. There are a bunch of us on this site that find quite a bit of joy in sharing our knowledge of these plows. There is a huge amount of satisfaction in helping a person find and fix their problem on their own.

Just don't give up on me and let this thread die like what typically happens on this site. With all the knoweldge that is floating around between all the plow jockeys, we will get you back in serivce if you stick with us! Thumbs Up

16. mishnick

It's clear from the photos you have an old style MVP, pre-isolation module.... So your lights are controlled by relays and you have only two grill plugs, one is the motor power and the other is a combination of all the lights and all the functions. There are no fuses involved in your issue as we previously thought. Any fuse that would affect your controller / functions would kill everything, not just scoop.

Since this unit has 7 valves, 7 coils and it is analog it makes it a bit more complicated to troubleshoot. We know that the controller is getting power because some of the functions work. I see you also said that you have tried a different controller so that is not the problem. We have to determine if this is an electrical problem or hydraulic (valve).

What you need to do is test the S4 valve coil to see if it is magnetized when scoop is pressed on the controller. S4 is under one of the three valve covers. There are three black plastic valve covers, one has three valves, the next has two valves and the last has one valve. Remove the three valve covers with a 1/4" socket. Find the one that has two valves. The rear valve is the S4. The S4 is the only valve required to make the left wing go forward either alone or together with the other wing.

Carefully (don't get crushed) get someone to press the scoop button while you hold a screwdriver on the end of the S4 valve. When the coil is magnetized you will feel the screwdriver being attracted to the coil and released when the button is released. if the magnet does not attract the screwdriver then you need to test the coil (black plastic thing on the valve), the wires on the coil, the grill plug and the cable from the grill plug to the controller. If the coil does magnetize then you need a new S4 valve.

Another way to test it is to use a jumper wire to bypass the controller and listen for the valve to click. All 7 coils have a common positive. That means one wire of the two going to each coil will have 12V whenever the ignition key is on. Take a jumper to the other side of the coil and ground it out. In a quiet place you should be able to hear the valve click when you ground and disconnect the jumper. You should see a small spark as you make and break the connection, this indicates current flow and that the coil is good. Note that the plow will not move when you do the jumper test because the pump motor will not spin.

As old as this unit is there are many possibilities that could cause your problem. If it's a valve that's pretty easy but if it's electrical (coil does not magnetize) then you must systematically test every section of wire. Use an ohmmeter and start testing for continuity between the negative S4 coil wire and the plow side of the 12 pin grill plug. Then from the truck side of the grill plug to the controller plug in the cab. If the valve and coil are both good then the weakest point, most likely to fail, is the grill plug. Here is a link to the mechanic's guide for the uni-mount MVP. Look at page 8 for the location of the S4 valve. Page 31 shows the hydraulic flow chart for left wing extend.

http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/21857_061503_web.pdf

There are lots of troubleshooting guides and alternative tests listed in the back of this manual. If you have a test light, a multi-meter and a reasonable mechanical aptitude you should be able to figure this out.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  17. Sawboy

I'd love to find a UniMount MVP for my one Unimount equipped truck. Get that thing fixed and hang on to it. Doesn't seem to be a bunch of them left.

18. Philbilly2

Looks like Nick and I were typing at the same time... :nod:

19. rickluc

rickluc Junior Member

Hey guys thanks for your help. We took it to a snowplow man this morning. He said the ground wire in the truck side of connector wasn't letting ground go thru to Solenoid value S4. He changed the connector coming out of truck grill. Thanks again for your enthusiasm trying to help me. Thanks

He also said this plow was a lot older than I thought.

20. Philbilly2

Glad you got it!