1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2008 Silverado Trailer Brake Controller Install?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DeereFarmer, Sep 13, 2008.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

My buddy just bought a 2008 Chevy Silverado 3500 dump. It's one sweet truck. Anyway, he wants me to install a brake controller for him. No problem I think to myself, it's go the factory 7 round wiring in the rear, so I think just plug and play. From what I've been told, the '08s do not have a plug in option, but rather a bunch of wires that you splice into under the steering column. No biggie. I just want to confirm this and have someone in the know walk me through it. I've heard there are two wires under the hood near the fuse box that need to be hooked up and fused. Is that correct? Where do the fuses go? Do I need to plug in the blue wire on the 7 way round like on the previous year models, or is that all set? Any light shed on this would be great. Thanks guys!ussmileyflag

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Chevy took a step backward in the tow system department

4. farmboy52787

farmboy52787 Senior Member

Thats odd, i thought all HD's would come with the trailer brake controller installed like mine did.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The built in BC is an optional package on the 07 new body style previous to that there was a plug in the convenience box.

6. farmboy52787

farmboy52787 Senior Member

Yes I'm aware basher, what I am saying is that any truck with the towing package, comes with that brake controller in the cab right below the headlight switch. All the new 3500's i looked at had that option in there because heck its a 3500 your either gonna haul a heavy load or tow something heavy.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The dealer may have ordered the BC option on all the 3500HDs he ordered, but they are not part of the standard tow package.

Boy we're not your Mama, we're not going to pat you on the head and agree because we think you're cute. Do your research before you post and you'll look the fool less often.

* Trailering equipment, , heavy-duty, includes trailering hitch platform and 2.5-inch receiver with 2" adapter, 7-wire harness (harness includes wires for: park lamps, backup lamps, right turn, left turn, electric brake lead, battery and ground) with independent fused trailering circuits mated to a 7-way sealed connector, wiring harness for after-market trailer brake controller (located in the instrument panel harness), and single wire for center high-mounted stop lamp (Z82) $230.00

INTEGRATED TRAILER BRAKE Brake controller, , integrated trailer (JL1) $200.00

8. DeereFarmer

Thanks B&B. That's a great site.

9. DeereFarmer

Just a sum up of today's events: the brake controller install was a breeze. I'd say 30 minutes tops, most of which was trying to decide where to mount it. Thanks again B&B.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Easy when you have the info huh? :)

Happy to help. :salute: