1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2008 GMC Sierra Ext.Cab 6.5 Box

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by Washington Lawn, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Washington Lawn

Washington Lawn Junior Member

Ok here goes... I have been reading up and down on this site as a guest up until today. Ive found some valuable information but I was still missing some specifics. I have a brand new 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 5.3L Ext. Cab Stand. Box. My intentions were to go with a Western Mid-weight. However, I would be pushing the weight rating to the full degree. Some say this wouldnt be a problem because you could adjust the torsion bar etc. etc. For the record, 2008 GMC Sierra has coil-over springs, no torsion bar. With Western not being an option I decided to look at snow-way and Snow Dogg. Both of them can be installed on my truck (according to the maunufactures).

My number one concern... Weight.

Snow-way 26 is still heavier than the Snow Dogg MD75

Snow-Ways Down Pressure is pretty cool but the quality, material and fit and finish is what grabs my attention with Snow Dogg.

Finally , The price. Considering my first choice was a Western I will now save about 1,400 dollars over my initial decision.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, Im considering a set of Timbrens for the front as well.
  2. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

What is coil over... ? ? ? ? Do you mean just coil springs....
  3. jlcf

jlcf Junior Member

We have installed several Boss standard duty 7'6" on 07 & 08 GM 1500. They handle them fine. I would not own a plow truck without Timbrens. I would not hessitate to opt for them. I'm trying the snowDogg line but am partial to Boss. The 7'6" standard duty is probably are best seller and I have had hardly any complaints.
  4. Washington Lawn

Rich, Yes sorry for the confusion. coil springs *3950

Jlcf, Thx for your reply... I keep getting mixed responses on what type would be suitable. Boss and Western are both nice plows. My main concern was weight. The most important question to me was "Is it possible to put either blade on my truck despite the manufactures recommendations." Secondly "What preventative measures should I take if I choose to do this?" Lastly "What are the consequeses if something decides to break?"

1.) Boss plow is more weight than the Western mid-weight. #40lbs or so.
    2.) Western suggests something in the lines of 900+lbs of ballast (according to the the sales rep.)
    3.) If something breaks, My Truck warranty is null and void.

Im still having a hard time understanding the mathematics of what is exceptable and what is not. Anyone care to explain?
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  5. Washington Lawn

Double post have no idea why... sorry.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  6. badave

badave Junior Member
    from MA

I had a MD75 installed on my 08 Silverado extended cab. I talked to the dealer i bought it from an found out who an what plow they would install on it. They gave me the name of the place. I asked about my warranty on the truck with a plow on it an they said as long as i bring it back to them they would cover it. The plow cost me $3500 installed.