1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2008 GMC Serria CMS wanting to add a back rack

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 77gmcserria, Jan 8, 2014.

1. 77gmcserria

77gmcserria Member
    from N/A

I have a 2008 GMC Serria 3500 reg cab that came from the factory with the GMC CMS (cargo management system) w/ 1 large tool box and 2 small ones. The issue I am having is that I want to install a back rack to mount a beacon and for other purposes. It looks like the CMS uses the same location as the back rack.

Has anyone installed a back rack with the GM CMS system? Any other methods of mounting?

Thanks

2. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Well had you done just a little research. Most backracks allow you to have a toolbox by offering additional brackets.

[​IMG]

3. 77gmcserria

77gmcserria Member
    from N/A

4. bam bam

bam bam Junior Member

Yes, Installed one on my brother inlaws 09 few yrs back. I remember we used the same bolt that holds the rail in the front pocket. Took out that bolt slid down the threaded rod with the flat plate through the stake pocket, put the rail bolt back in which goes through the hole in the threaded rod. Gm uses like a toggle style nut and sticking that in stake pocket and getting it started was a little tricky but the back rack mounted nice and sturdy. It was the same unit as the picture above. Don't know if you have seen how they mount or understand what I was trying to explain but it will work fine.

5. 77gmcserria

77gmcserria Member
    from N/A

6. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I believe he is refering to the stake pocket on top and would not interfere with the opening in the box.

7. 77gmcserria

77gmcserria Member
    from N/A

It seems that if you put the backrack bolt in that hole on the side of the stake pocket that you wouldn't be able to attach the rail system because the backrack bolt covers the entire hole.

8. bam bam

bam bam Junior Member

I didn't use that part you see in your picture, instead use the bolt you have going into the stake pocket that holds the cargo system rail on. The threaded rod that bolts the back rack bracket to the bed will fit on that bolt.

9. 77gmcserria

77gmcserria Member
    from N/A

So it hooks on to the rail system bolt? Just trying to visualize it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  10. 77gmcserria

77gmcserria Member
    from N/A

Any one know if the CMS system from the 2008 will fit on a 2015? Or even just buy the rails that fit the 2015, will the tool boxes still fit?