1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2008 gmc hd torsion bar bushings

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by lonecone, Dec 31, 2009.

1. lonecone

lonecone Junior Member

i have a 2008 hd duramax with an 8ft straight blade. i had a clunk under my feet at slow speeds. it turned out to a bad torsion bar bushing. was that caused by my plow? should i turn up my torsion bars at all? if so how do i do it or does a shop have to do it?

2. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

T-bars do not have bushings.

3. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Torsion bar bushing ???

4. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Do you mean the lower control arm ??? Or the key in back by the cross over bracket ???

5. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

Ask a guy on this site by the name of mossman381 about your problem and related warranty work. he should be able to help you out.

6. mossman381

Hey, newhere why don't you go to your dealer and have your t-bar bushings replaced. They should be covered under warranty

7. newhere

from Fenton

Hahahaha I was hoping you wouldn't read that and this guy would PM you and just chap your a$$. Then you would tell him off hahaha. It woulda worked out perfect!!

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Might as well get your blinker fluid checked while your there also.

9. mossman381

I hope lonecone does not take this personally. I was just giving newhere a hard time.

10. newhere

from Fenton

Why do I deserve the public ridicule and he doesn't? I was man enought to say I'm new here at least!

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The bushings (isolators actually) you're referring to are not in the T-bars themselves they are in the T-bar cross member where it's attached to the frame rails. And yes when there's an issue with them will give you a rather annoying clunk below your seat.

Should be a warranty item as there's nothing you can really be doing to wear them so prematurely on a truck as new as yours.

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

B and B to the rescue again.:drinkup:

13. lonecone

lonecone Junior Member

while i was entertained by the extraordinary wit displayed by some of you, no one told me if this was going to happen again. and if and how i should turn up my t-bars. i already had them replaced, not under warranty, and my bill from gmc said "replaced torsion bar bushings on left side". the truck drives better than when i bought it new. could the problem have come from the factory?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  14. mossman381

Like B&B said, that bushing should have been replaced under warranty. There is no way to wear them out. All them bushings do is hold the cross member in place. They do not move. The only way they could wear out is my rotting or factory defect.

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's possible is was a defect from new. And would certainly explain why the truck drive better now than it even has. Could have been a slight alignment issue from new also. I've seen many vehicles (not only GM's, or trucks for that matter) come from the lot with a poor alignment.