1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2008 gmc crew cab d-max

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by lonecone, Dec 27, 2008.

1. lonecone

lonecone Junior Member

what is a comfortable transmission temp? plow seems to interfere w/exterior temp, therefore turning a/c on and shutting down heat. any help with these?
  2. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Mine is going in for a hd fan clutch upgrade next week.. Tranny temps get hot when going down the road from site to site...I dont let mine get over 190-200 before i stop and let it idle to cool tranny temp. I had the water temp climb when going up a decent hill with the plow on. I'm hoping this hd fan will fix the prob. My dealer Knew about the overheating issues and recomended the hd fan upgrade..on GM's dime to.........
  3. michdeere

michdeere Member

The hottest I've seen my '08 Chevy LMM crew cab is 180. When plowing it generally runs 140-160. Make sure you use the tow/haul mode when plowing. You won't have any trouble. I don't use tow/haul when going down the road between jobs, the temp drops on it's own then.
  4. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

while plowing mine rarely gets higher then 170...Its traveling with the plow that I have isues.
    I have tried running the plow angled, low, high, and everything inbetween with and without tow haul. I'm sure the hd fan clutch will help......I hope

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Mine are always in the 140-160 range. The hottest the 06 got was 181 according to the Edge(it records max temps) that was with the plow on pulling the skid on the 24K deckover trailer 14,000lbs ish,it was about 45 outside.
  6. TonyS

TonyS Junior Member

Mine runs 150-170 plowing, but gets hotter while going down the road like My Bowtie said.
  7. lonecone

lonecone Junior Member

what is a hd clutch fan? will it turn on and off or will it always be on? another question, what does gm do on the plow prep package? i have a 08 sierra 2500 and gm doesn't recommend putting a plow on it. i thought the HD stood for heavy duty?
  8. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Clutch fans run depending on the operating temperature of the vehicle. If the engine is cold or at normal operating temp, the clutch does not fully engage the fan but, leaves it to spin from the engine belt its on. If the operating temp goes above normal, then the clutch kicks in, and the fan is fully driven to help cool. Its a thermostatically controlled clutch.

GM's plow prep has :

-15-amp power for roof emergency lights.

-160-amp alternator.

-high-flow front bumper.

-forward lamp wiring harness.

-provisions for cab lights.

-instrument panel jumper wiring harness for TBC (trailer brake controller).

-high capacity air cleaner.

-auxillary tranny oil cooler.

-skid plate package.

-And I believe stronger Torsion bars up front depending on cab configuration.

What kind of 08 2500hd do you have??? And yes, HD does mean Heavy Duty. Just the fan was under duty.
  9. lonecone

lonecone Junior Member

i have a crew cab slt 2500 hd with northman 8' plow. love the truck! tons of power. i've read that i could void the warranty by putting on a plow. i hope its not true.
  10. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

is your 2500 a diesel because I believe that gm will not put a plow prep package on a diesel. That means they will not (or at least doesn't have to) honor the warranty.
  11. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Thats only on the CC.....