1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2008 Ford F550

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by PrecisionS&I, Sep 20, 2012.

1. PrecisionS&I

PrecisionS&I Member
    from Ohio

Looking for some imput. Found a 2008 Ford F550 cab and chassis for sale with a 6.4l diesel, 104,000 miles, from Texas never had a plow . Wondering what to be aware of and what anyone thought. The asking price is 20k.

From Carfax.
    06/11/2010 70,041
    Maintenance inspection completed
    Front brake pads and rotors replaced
    Electrical system checked
    Engine checked
    Engine timing/front cover gasket replaced
    Cooling system checked
    Tires rotated and balanced
    Four wheel alignment performed

09/10/2010 75,786
    Electrical system checked
    Engine compression checked
    Maintenance inspection completed
    Fuel injector(s) replaced
    Oil and filter changed
    Fuel pressure checked
    Engine checked
    Valve cover gasket(s) replaced
    Engine oil cooler replaced/repaired
    EGR/DPFE feedback sensor replaced

2. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Ball joints will need to be done.

3. BCF250SD

BCF250SD Junior Member

Go to a dealer with the vin of the truck and get an Oasis report on the truck. It will have all the records of when it was in the shop for what ever. Also check to see it it has any white residual around the coolant overflow cap. If so it will probably need the head gaskets done.

4. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Absolutley I have afriend whom just bought in the begining of this year a used 08 6.4 SD King ranch with 58.000 on it.It now has 78.000 on it and the other day started blowin white smoke out the Pipes and pulled over to Discover all of his coolent was gone.he just had in the shop for a change and everything 2 weeks ago plus in order to get to everything th must remove the Cab off the chassis assoming the same for a 550 as well.

But most deff get a OASIS Report safe your self the HEADACHE AND THE $$$$$$

5. BCF250SD

BCF250SD Junior Member

White smoke out exhaust is most likely the EGR cooler is blown. I know on the 6.0L you can change the cooler without taking the cab off not sure about the 6.4L

6. DIRISHMAN

well hope what ever it is they coverit with his warrnty but you know how ford is about doin work,they alway give ya the run around at leat out here exspecialy when its there fault.kinda sad when ya spend a llth dough on a rig andthey wanna give ya run around about fixin it:confused:

7. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

its a great piece, but that darn dpf is an issue

8. DIRISHMAN

No doubt about it

9. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

If you get it I'd delete the CAT, DPF, & EGR

10. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Send me the vin I can run an oasis right now. However it will only tell us what repairs have been made under warranty and the technician notes. No customer pay services. However I would be leary of this one. I see the front cover has been replaced. The front covers cavitate behind the water pump allowing coolant to flood the oil pan. That is bad. Oil and water create an acid that eats away at engine bearings and could cause a major issue down the road. However they could have replaced the front cover before anything major happened... Send me the vin if you want more details

11. DIRISHMAN

Nice one weewee

12. wewille

wewille Senior Member

weewee? Im assuming me?

13. DIRISHMAN

yep i guess thats what i typed,No offence,I just ment thats a awsome thing your doin helpin him out on the OASIS REPORT before he buys. way to goThumbs Up

14. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

I went to a dealer thinking that they just handed out oasis reports. Pretty much got laughed out of there. Eventually they read me out some info. But carfax showed pretty much the same info.

Definitely a good deed and opportunity

15. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Haha fair enough, I was wondering because I didnt think I said anything wrong! Yea OASIS reports can be good however they only offer warranty repairs and campaigns or recalls completed. It has some good stuff to know.

16. DIRISHMAN

No problem wille