1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2008 F350 Blunt cut wire help

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Fire_n_Ice, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

I am installing Whelen Vertex Hide-a-ways in my 2008 F350 and have located the blunt cut wires by the steering column. I know which 4 are for the switch relays and which 4 are the pass through to the engine but what are the other 8 or so that are all taped together? There is a light green one that is in that group and I found another light green blunt cut wire in the back by the spare tire. Does anyone know if this is, first of all, the same wire and, secondly, can I use it to wire the rear lights? Any help would be appreciate. I am always surfing around on here and haven't found anything related to this.

P.S. if this wire cannot or should not be used can anyone recommend an easy way to wire the rear lights? And is it ok to ground the lights to the frame in the rear and only run a hot wire to the front?

P.S.S Sorry for the question after question after question ussmileyflag

2. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Does your truck have the built in brake controller? If not that may be what the wire is for. To find out what it is, just connect a 12 Volt source to it and go to the back of the truck and see if that wire has juice. About grounding to the frame for one hot wire thats exactly what I did. Worked fine. Hope this helps.

3. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

Yes, it has brake controller. As far as applying power and checking for juice, I think that is what I am going to try. I just wanted to see if anyone had an idea as to why there were so many blunt cut wires up front. Thanks for the reply. I am going to give it shot in a few hours, I will let you know how it goes.

4. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

5. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

Good point, off to do some research prior to blindly throwing 12volts around. How does everyone else run wire to the rear?

6. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah my bad, didn't even think about it messing up your truck. I ran mine between the door and the body of the truck. Probably can't do that on newer ones though. So through the firewall and down would be best.

7. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

So, I ended up just tapping into the pass through wires into the engine and then running it to the back underneath. I followed other wire and ziptied the crap out of it. I ran out daylight to finish, but 1st thing in the AM I will make the connections and be done. Thanks for the input and especially for keeping me from blindly "Trying" to see if I could use that wire. Still curious though if anyone knows what they are for (yes, I know half are for the PTO and High Idle, but the others. Thanks all, LOVE THE SITE!!! :drinkup: