1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2008 F250 Tranny ?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Tbrothers, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

I have a 08 f 250 with the V10 and every year I bring it into ford to have the tranny flushed out. Last year I asked them if they changed the filter and they told me no because its not required until I reach 100k and its $250 just for the filter. Does this make sense or they just not doing what there suppost to do? It only has 56k for mileage about 10k to 12k a year at most.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

you can buy a filter kit for $15-20. Maybe the meant a tranny service for $250. I believe the 5r100's still use mercon V which is expensive as hell.

3. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

I think I paid $190 for the tranny flush but they never changed the filter. I'll have to talk to them again this year and see what the deal is.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

they probally hook it up to a trans machine, ours was called a t-tech. what the machine does is remove all the old fluid and replace it with new. while your truck is running, this is how its done if the trans is being flushed this way, theres no need to replace the filter till 100k.

5. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

I did some research and found out it does have a remote filter. So I called Ford and the filter is $156.00.

6. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I replaced the filter last fall on my 07 when I replaced my rusted out leaky lines. It's just a paper element ( looks like a roll of toilet paper) that goes in a housing mounted by the right front tire. It's easy to replace.

,shaun

7. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I believe there are 2 filters on the tranny. An external and internal like usually. At least on my 07 and 05 there were 2. I am not a tranny guy but if I put new fluid in I don;t want it running through a dirty filter.

8. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

That's the way I feel. They tell me that I'm going over board flushing the tranny every year or about 12k miles but to me its cheap maintenance. This year the filter will be replaced whether they recommend it or not.

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I have not looked but does Ford even recommend flushing? I not talking about the dealer either. I think Chevy doesn't recommend it either.

10. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Getting it flushed isn't a bad idea at all.

A Ford trans tech said the 4R100s and TorqShifts will never get hot enough to boil off the moisture that occurs during the winter months, unless you are doing some really heavy towing.

11. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

what other way would they do it? Does it matter how its done as long as the oil being changed.