1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2008 F250 Super Duty

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by koosh925, Sep 17, 2010.

1. koosh925

koosh925 Junior Member

I am looking into buying a 2008 f250 super duty. Is this a good idea. I have read that some people like them and some don't. What's your take on it.
  2. tim096

tim096 Senior Member
    from wny

What motor? I just bought a brand new left over 09 I love it
  3. koosh925

koosh925 Junior Member

5.4l sohc 24 valve smfl triton v8
  4. Grandad

Grandad Junior Member

Well I don't have the 5.4 but here's a list of the problems I have had

On my 4th Radiator hopefully the 4th is a charm.
    EGR valve went out had to get towed in
    Front wheel seal went out.
    Heater control somthing or other went out in the dash, took a week to get the part in and the had to take to whole dash out to get at it.
    And power brakes and power steering are optional right now.

Don't mean to hi jack your tread but am pretty pissed off, I bought this truck new thinking I was going to have a reliable truck Guess not.
  5. vt properties

vt properties Senior Member
    from vermont

running an 09 and beating it up pretty good and she takes everything real well..I have the 5.4 as well its no rocketship but I plow with 2 yards in the hopper no prob. The truck itself is very stout but built to plow especially with the solid axles and a good fgwar and can handle a 1,000lb plow like the DD expandables. If you are looking for a smooth ride look at GMC with the IFS, They ride better. But if you are looking for a heavy front end the ford is pretty stout.. Good luck And no prob so far with anything
  6. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Should mention that you have a diesel. OP, the gas motors are very stout and reliable. Many are getting 300,000 miles out of them. The 5.4L won't move mountains, but it will move snow well enough. I would say go find a V10 if you are looking for more power, but it is becoming harder to find them.
  7. Grandad

Grandad Junior Member

O I did say that I don't have the 5.4

And the 5.4 is what I had before this truck and I loved it 289,000 miles on it before I traded it in on this truck, I had only one problem with it the Head gaskets went out at 140,000 miles but that was pretty common for a 2001.
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

great truck...maybe just a little underpowered when pulling a heavy load
  9. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

koosh925 I just bought a 06 f250 with the same sized engine. After telling myself for years I would never buy a ford I bought this thing. Hopfully it will work out well.

Owning it for only 2 weeks, I'm happy with it so far... lol
  10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Ive had my 06 since new and it has the 5.4L. It is a bit under powered when it comes to pulling our skid steer up long hills but thats far and few between. One of our landscaping trailers is a 24ft enclosed and its fully loaded with mowers, etc. and it tows it just fine even when its loaded with wet grass. As far as problems with it.....I really haven't had any. So far the only engine repairs to date are, a new set of exhaust manifolds, battery and thats it. As far as truck repairs to date, new 4x4 hubs, new tires x2, a new running board and a couple lights and its first set of new front pads which I thought was great, seeings how this thing has either pulled something, hauled something or pushed snow and alway loaded down. Its been a great truck so far and my mileage is 41k