1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2008 F250 stuck in 4x4 Low

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by swtiih, Feb 27, 2013.

1. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 2008 F250 5.4L gaswith the electronic 4x4. I have the 3 position selector on the dash with the selections being ( 2wd / 4x4 Hi / 4x4 low ) I put the selector in 4x4 Low and it stays in low even though I went back to 2wd, I also unlocked the manual hubs. I tried rolling the truck at a few mph as well as being stopped and switching the selector. The dash light did change from once from 4x4 low to flashing 4x4 Hi, but is still engaged in low. Any suggestions . Also how does this operate, I image thru the computer and then switches something in the transfer case? Thanks
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  2. bswalks

bswalks Member

Idk about fords, but in one of my Chevys, I had a problem with an electronic 4x4 switch. I disconnected the battery for a few minutes & it "reset".
    Good luck
  3. snopushin ford

snopushin ford Senior Member
    from mass

try rolling at a couple mph put the truck in neutral while still moving and lightly apply the brake pedal. then move the selector to 4 high, it should come out of low range. good luck.
    for it to com,e out you must be rolling, in neutral, and light pressure on the brake, then move the selector. Matt
  4. swtiih

I did try what you stated except with my foot on the brake. so I'll try that thanks
  5. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

They have an electric motor that moves the shift lever on the transfer case. It could be a couple differant problems, It could just be stuck, if you get under the truck and tap on it or push on the lever with something it may move. I had this problem on an f150, or it could be a wireing issue, or the electric motor went south. Usually when an indicator light blinks it's telling you there is an electronic malfunction. If need be you should be able to go under the truck and unhook the shift motor and do it manually. At least that way you can drive it if need be.
    All the manufacturers are going to this type of shift system. I hate it, I like the old mechanical type with lincage from lever to transfer case.
  6. swtiih

update, came out of Low. It does act weird in my opinion but according to the owners manual it says you may have to wait up to 15 sec for it to disengage
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Why did you go into low in the 1st place?
  8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Plow prep trucks should all come with manual t-cases. Push button 4wd is for soccer moms :D
  9. swtiih

By accident, I think it was a bad idea when they designed switches on the dash and the blower switch is identical to the 4x4 switch
  10. swtiih

I agree, I hate that switch, I liked the manual shift much better
  11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

They should of had people that really use 4X4 trucks look at the arrangement of the switches. I don't know how many times I have done the same thing. Turn blower up, but I shifted into 4X4.
    The truck has to be in neutral and at a stop for it to shift out or into low range. I have backed up 50 feet, then it shifts! Sometimes it takes it's good old time! I would much rather have to "Old Time lever".
  12. Roundhammer

Roundhammer Member

As far as I know 2008's and up have a crazy vacume assisted 4X4 system..

My buddy's f150 just went in for some 4x4 related issues..and it was vacume related..

Might be something worth checking?

Hope it helps!?!?

13. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

you can still get mechanical 4 wheel drive. both the 2011 and the 2013 diesels have it. we will not have an electric 4 wheel truck in the yard.