1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2008 F-450 crew cab/plow setup

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PlowKid150, Oct 26, 2008.

1. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

hey guys, i bought an 08 f-450 crew cab dually to tow my boat, and i want to add another truck to the plow fleet. Anyhow, i have a 2005 western 8.5 pro plus that has 05 ford superduty wiring and mount. Anyone know about how much the 08 wiring and mount will run me to put this plow on the 450? Additionally, how much do the extender wings cost for the pro plus? and would they be necc for plowing with an 8.5 on a dually?? Thanks in advance guys.
  2. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Ford changed the frame again in 08' At least the snoway has a different mount from a 07'-08'. I would guess it would be the same for other manufacturers. If it was me I would go a 9.2 or 9.5, I think you will be wanting a little more width on that truck. I have a f-350 cc dually and I'm replacing my old plow with a 9.1 snoway or 9.2 boss. FYI they suck to plow with because you need so much room to maneuver them.
  3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You should put atleast a 9' plow on it. 9.5' V would work great on that truck.
  4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

About $500-550
  5. Marek

Marek Senior Member

The frame and truck side wiring should be 1500 - 1600 installed. But for what used plows sell for just get rid of the old plow and buy a new 9' for 4800-4900. The 8.5 is going to be to small for that truck.
  6. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

You def want atleast a 9' MINIMUM. Dont underestimate the power of that truck and engine. That thing would push like a loader would. You would probably want an MC series plow if you were getting a Fisher.
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Where did the OP mention anything about purchasing a different brand? :rolleyes:

8 1/2 with wings if you want to run your current blade. But if your buying one go for the 9 footer.
  8. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

what type of boat needs a 450 to pull it.
  9. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

a very big one
  10. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

I think that would be a little narrow w/ 8.5. Got a 8 on a SRW and still drags in tight radius turns. BTW I think Ducatirider is right so far as hard to maneuver, that truck is longer than a Chinese search warrant!:D
  11. Tractor Plower

Tractor Plower Senior Member

Hey I know you have a big truck, but the 450's and 550's turn tighter than a 250 or 350. My dad's F-450 p/u runs circles around my reg cab F-350. I would actually like to plow with one of them! haha. As far as a plow goes, I agree with the 9' minimum. Around corners you have alot of truck to turn. I would consider either a 9.5' V or 8611LP Blizzard, or the new SnoWay Revolution. They are all big blades, your 7000lb. front end can handle the weight for sure. The only upgrade to the truck I might suggest before plowing is to change the tires to Michelin XDE M/S tires, the stock Continentals are extremely poor in snow!